Frozen Prawns As Food.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

micko

drive it like you stole it.
Reaction score
I was told its ok to feed prawns to your fish? Is this true? Obviously they would need to be defrosted in a glass of water or something first. I understand a small fish wouldn't need much if they were allowed it but what about an oscar or severum?

Yes it`s true, you can feed prawns to your fish. Just defrost in water first then chop into small enough pieces that your fish can eat it. Do make sure to remove any uneaten prawn after a short while though as it will rot and affect the quality of your water.

You could try adding a very small amount of garlic juice too, most fish absolutely love garlic :good:

Thanks for your quick reply. Will put some in a hot glass of water now.

Where do you get garlic juice from? I thought it only come in the cloves you buy in the supermarket.

Thanks again.

Yes it`s true, you can feed prawns to your fish. Just defrost in water first then chop into small enough pieces that your fish can eat it. Do make sure to remove any uneaten prawn after a short while though as it will rot and affect the quality of your water.

You could try adding a very small amount of garlic juice too, most fish absolutely love garlic :good:

They may love it, but who wants to talk to a fish that's just eaten raw prawn and garlic juice. :sick: :lol:

I love raw prawn myself, but have to make sure I brush my teeth for about half an hour after as my girlfriend hates the smell, I even have to eat them outside or she will be sick.

Really? You can feed prawns? Do all fish like them then? I might give that a go.

Well fish generally eat dead fish if you leave them in the tank and a prawn isnt much different :D

I feel like a prawn cocktail now :< seafood sauce, lemon, crunchy lettuce and some warm bread rolls.......followed by a dozen beers! yey for Fridays!

Well fish generally eat dead fish if you leave them in the tank and a prawn isnt much different :D

I feel like a prawn cocktail now :< seafood sauce, lemon, crunchy lettuce and some warm bread rolls.......followed by a dozen beers! yey for Fridays!

With garlic butter haha :)

Where do you get garlic juice from? I thought it only come in the cloves you buy in the supermarket.

Thanks again.

No worries :)

You can buy the small jars of crushed garlic and just take a couple of drops of the juice from that. I just squash the top of the garlic down with a teaspoon and withdraw with a small syringe or a pipette :good:

A lot of fish shops sell food in slabs i.e brine shrimp in garlic, I feed that to my Tanganyikan fish and even my Malawi fry love it :nod:

Defrosting in warm water is just asking for bacteria to grow on them. Always defrost in cold water, in the refrigerator, or at worst room temperature when you will be in the area to monitor. If you need to defrost in a hurry, you can put them in a bowl in the sink and run cold water into the bowl. But never warm.

I buy frozen fish food. Prawn, Brine and bloodworm. Take a small cup of water from your tank, pop a cube of above food in it. Leave it for 3-5mins. I feed small amounts over a 20min period to ensure it is eaten. Its also treated to prevent introducing un-necessary bacteria. You can buy it from any good fish supplier, Dobbies garden centres even sell it. Hope this is useful, first time commenting :)

Shrimp (yes, I'm from the US lol) can be used as a base for home made frozen fish food. There are many recipes out there, but when I was breeding angelfish I wanted to be able to tailor make my own. I put the prawns into a blender shells and all then added spirulina powder, some water, some gelatin, a fish oil capsule, some garlic, and a children's multivitamin. Blend well in short bursts, pour the mixture into a freezer storage bag, seal and lay it flat on it's side in your freezer. Just break off a piece and defrost it in a cup of cold water and pour it into the tank to feed.

I didn't realise hot water defrosting increases bacteria. I won't do that again.
Needless to say, my girlfriend does all the cooking. :good:

Hi and welcome to the forum Phantom floater, I seen a Dobbies in lisburn yesterday but didn't read this post until this morning so I didn't go in. Will do in future.

Thanks for that drobbyb, I may well give it a go next time I'm in the house on my own. The girlfriend will kill me if I started that whilst see could see. :lol:

Just a quick update, they love the prawns. I cut some up very finely for the 150ltr tank and it was gone in no time, that's just a livebearers tank.
Put some in with the oscar and severum and needless to say, it was gone in seconds.

I occasionally feed my fish maggots (that I use for fishing). Once fully frozen, I cut them into pieces small enough for my fish. And they seem to be big fans of it!
Just something for people to consider if they find they have to many maggots leftover from a day's fishing. I'd recommend using white maggots, as they are naturally coloured and not dyed like reds for example.

James.

its only food dye, nowt harmful, ask for some pinkies or squats, they are smaller and you can feed them whole and live :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back