Frozen Krill Left Out Over Night

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fry_lover

Fred and the Fredettes
Reaction score
As title suggests, some Frozen Krill (blocks) were left out of freezer in my kitchen (approx room temp 22-23 C), i think they must have been out for about 9-10 hours, then i put them straight back in freezer. I purchased them a few days ago.

Still okay to feed? I presume these things defrost and then get frozen a few times anyway by the time they reach our fish?

I put my frozen blocks in to very hot water for a minute or so anyway to defrost and them i drain off the excess juice and feed the food to the fish.

Thanks in advance

anybody got a reply to this? my fish want to know whats on the menu tonight :eek:

Should be fine, freezing is only a physical change so the chemical (and hence nutritional) makeup is the same. Also, it sounds like they probably weren't out long enough to start decomposing, and so long as you keep them back in the freezer, not much bacteria should have started to grow on them. Also, since the seal wasn't broken, the chances anything like bacteria got in are pretty low. So, they should be fine. If you are really worried, it's not like frozen krill is fillet mignon or Kobe beef or caviar in terms of cost, so purchasing a new package isn't going to break the bank, but there shouldn't really be any problem using the stuff left out for a few hours.

ive left bloodworms out and then just refroze them and no fish are dead yet :good:

thanks for reply, thats what i figured, i managed to remember to put the fillet mignon back in the freezer in time thankfully

It shouldnt be a problem. I have done this several time's. So far I have not lost any fish either. I also think they would be smart enough not to eat it if it was spoiled..... I would hope.

Most reactions

trending

Back