From the short time I have been here....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sara

Reaction score
This is the most uninformative forum that would rather tell you what you are doing wrong than answer the question that is asked. All I asked was how long to wait until adding more fish after ick, and all you did was give me WRONG answers like don't put any other fish with a social "fantail goldfish" type fish, which anyone that knows about fish knows that social fish like these have to have tank mates to be happy :grr: . Anyways, I will try this on my own, and hope for the best since I found no help at all here.

Thanks alot :sly: ,
Sara

oh ya, and by the way, I also explained how I was going to be transferring the fish as they got bigger to a bigger tank, and no one said anything after that to help me out. :no:

Sounds like you have had some bad experiences to start here Sara, im sorry to hear that.

Perhaps you could post a link to the thread you are referring to and you may get some more positive answers coming from this thread to that one.

I would like to add that since i have been here this forum and it's members has really helped me out of sticky situations. Right from the word go i had problems cycling my tank. That's another story.
Unfortunately in any community you get ppl straying off topic and making judgements. But generally the advice on here is excellent....

So how about that link :)

Those people told you not to add more fish because tehy were under teh impression you were keeping a fantail goldfish in a 5 gallon tank forever. I realise no one else replied after you explained you weren't, maybe the people who saw it didnt know the answer, maybe no one saw it at all. I very much doubt anyone thought "ah well I know the answer but I won't tell her, just to be annoying." The people who did answer gave appropriate advice to the situation they thought you were in, so I don't think you're being very fair to them.

Edit: Fawke the thread is here:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=61565&hl=

I think wuv gave the answer really,don't add any more till you find out whats stressing the fish and causing ich.

Oh ya, and this mornin there is NO sign of ick left on my lil fantail, so again, I guess I am asking (hoping to get positive feedback) how long till I can add another baby fantail?

Dear Sara,

I'm really sorry you feel this way! In my opinion a lot of people here are very knowledgable and helpful, however this might be different when it comes to goldfish instead of tropical fish. I read the thread you made, and it didnt seem that bad to me. You sound like you know a lot about goldfish and only want whats best for them! I'm quite sure that if you read that someone wanted to keep, lets say, 3 goldfish in a 5 Gallon, without knowing that they'd been moved to a bigger tank later on, you'd be upset and try to talk the person out of doing this as well.

What wuvmybetta said is correct, ick is usually caused by stress. The goldfish might like other fish around them, but if there were too many in the tank at the moment they will have felt crouded and stressed. I think that in a 5 Gallon tank you'd be best of putting 2 goldfish and quite quickly move them into the 30 Gallon. Which you were planning on doing anyway :)

Please try to understand that they did not mean to be rude or anything! They thought it would be a permanent home, and the reason they didnt post again after you said you would move them into your soon to arrive 55Gallons was simply because people like Wuvmybetta look at hundreds of threads a day and cant check back on all of them! The other reason you didnt get a responds afterwards is because most people here feel they dont know anything about goldfish, seeing as they keep tropicals which require different setups and all that.

I really hope you decide to forgive these people and will keep visiting this forum. In the future however, you'll be better of posting in the Coldwater Fish and Ponds section on this forum, I think you'll find a lot more support and help there :)

~Erised

what kind of fantail? A goldie? You won't want to add anymore to a tank that size. She'll soon fill it up by herself.

ich is a tricky thing because it really only attacks fish when they're stressed. So if you can find out what is stressing your fish (for exampe too many in tight quarters,poor water quality, drastic temp changes etc etc) then you're on your way to remaining ich free forever

Seems to have answered your original question perfectly

If a member had recommended adding more fish in 2 weeks, 3 months or even 2 years then that would have been a bad recommendation.

All your questions have been answered -

Don't add more fish - Wait until the 55G is ready,
wuvmybetta gave a really good explaination of what ich is and what causes it. looks as though it might have been an overcrowded tank causing the stress?

Edit - Seems to be a popular topic - Circle the wagon :lol:

Well I have gone through all of this before on bird forums, I have a B&G Macaw, and joined a couple bird groups last year, at first when you are a newbie, they want to jump all over you and act like you don't know what you are doing. but happy to say I am still with those groups and understand how it works, I just hope all newbies don't get the same impression I was givin. I will be getting my 55 gallon around xmas time, probably be buying it for myself, sorry I didn't explain my whole story to begin with, but didn't think it was necessary.

Sara

I really cant see what you are getting upset about, your question was answered quickly and correctly, the whole time you still have the goldfish in the 5g that is the only fish you can have in there no matter of how long the ICH has been gone for, 1 inch of goldfish per 5g of water is the rule of thumb.

As for adding new fish you can add fish to a tank that has had ICH 3 weeks after the last spots disapeared.

Ahh well, I have raised my fantails, pleco, and cories for 5 years without the help of a forum, I guess I can continue doin it that way, I am sorry for bothering you with my tank problems, I can see that you are still not reading my posts in full that I am growing these fantails for a bigger tank therefore want to do it 2 at a time. when I started my fantails 5 years ago, I had a 5 gallon tank with 3 fantails, 1 pleco and 2 cories and had NO PROBLEMS at all. But also as soon as they were too crowded, they got upgraded to a 30 gallon tank, and now I am working on gettting a 55 gallon tank, as I AGAIN explain. Anyways, thanks for your time.

Sara

why not wait until you get the 55G and just buy slightly bigger fish??

Problem solved

Sara said:
Well I have gone through all of this before on bird forums, I have a B&G Macaw, and joined a couple bird groups last year, at first when you are a newbie, they want to jump all over you and act like you don't know what you are doing. but happy to say I am still with those groups and understand how it works, I just hope all newbies don't get the same impression I was givin. I will be getting my 55 gallon around xmas time, probably be buying it for myself, sorry I didn't explain my whole story to begin with, but didn't think it was necessary.

Sara

Beautiful Bird! Good choice :thumbs:

Sorry, i didnt see your original thread... I have a thing with parrots... :rolleyes: If you want to know a good parrot forum i know a great one that i use all the time! :)

By the way - i am aware that this is totally not the point of this thread, but its more than one line and therefore not spam! :D :p lol

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back