From sponge to HOB

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

LyraGuppi

Fish Herder
Reaction score
For a new tank, I've decided an HOB filter would look better for the aquascape, versus the sponge filter I have. I've been running the sponge filter in another cycled tank for a few months now, would it be suitable to cut the sponge and use it in the HOB? I'm looking into either an AquaClear 50 or a Seachem Tidal 55 ( although, I haven't made any final decisions ), if that helps.
And I'm sorry for my absolute ignorance about the workings of HOB filters, I haven't used one in years. :)

What is the tank size and what fish are intended? Filters have to be suited to this.

Generally, I am not a fan of HOB, and years ago I did use them on my larger tanks.

The 50 gallon I posted about in a previous thread, and the Multifasciatus. Some plans changed, so they will be moving into the 50 instead of a 29. No other fish with them but snails. I'm going to have rock stacked mostly on one side, and shells all over.
My main reason for wanting a HOB is because the sponges would be giant eyesores in the tank. No true necessity for the HOB, just aesthetic preference.
I'll be able to pick the 50 up sometime in early June (likely the first Sunday). If you'd like , I can get its dimensions then and update.

The 50 gallon I posted about in a previous thread, and the Multifasciatus. Some plans changed, so they will be moving into the 50 instead of a 29. No other fish with them but snails. I'm going to have rock stacked mostly on one side, and shells all over.
My main reason for wanting a HOB is because the sponges would be giant eyesores in the tank. No true necessity for the HOB, just aesthetic preference.
I'll be able to pick the 50 up sometime in early June (likely the first Sunday). If you'd like , I can get its dimensions then and update.

That would work OK. You can direct the flow on most HOB's, and you could lessen it for the fish by having it aimed into the rocks along the back or similar. You do not want the fish struggling with currents; Lake Tanganyika is quiet water.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Back