From Sand Back To Gravel...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

shi24137

Fishaholic
Reaction score
How should I go about this and is it a good idea? The sand is MUCH harder to keep clean since it is black, how would I go about removing all of the sand from the tank? Or should I put some gravel over top of it? Any advice would be helpful!!!

Putting gravel on top of sand isn't a great idea as it will eventually work it's way under the sand.

You could siphon the sand out without too much disturbance. I did this when I moved. I just sucked it all out in to buckets and used the siphon a bit like a vacuum cleaner.
Worked well for me :)

The issue here is not the sand but the colour being black.  I noticed when I had fine black gravel in one tank that every bit of stuff shows up.  My other tanks all have mixed colour substrates, one is fine gravel and the others are play sand.

You do not want to mix substrates, as nic1 said.  And these never really look good regardless.  If you want a natural appearance, stay with one substrate material.

Before changing this out, consider the intended fish.  If substrate fish (corys, loaches, smaller cichlids) are intended, sand will usually be much better than gravel.  On the other hand, if you want to re-create a Central American stream for livebearers, you could use a fine gravel.

If this is an established tank (I assume probably, if detritus is showing) you will have a decent colony of several species of bacteria in the substrate (far beyond just the nitrifying) and this is worth keeping.  However, it is possible to change substrates; I did all my seven tanks over a year or two.  I would recommend removing the fish to a temporary (smaller) tank if any are present.

Byron.

Byron said:
The issue here is not the sand but the colour being black.  I noticed when I had fine black gravel in one tank that every bit of stuff shows up.  My other tanks all have mixed colour substrates, one is fine gravel and the others are play sand.

You do not want to mix substrates, as nic1 said.  And these never really look good regardless.  If you want a natural appearance, stay with one substrate material.

Before changing this out, consider the intended fish.  If substrate fish (corys, loaches, smaller cichlids) are intended, sand will usually be much better than gravel.  On the other hand, if you want to re-create a Central American stream for livebearers, you could use a fine gravel.

If this is an established tank (I assume probably, if detritus is showing) you will have a decent colony of several species of bacteria in the substrate (far beyond just the nitrifying) and this is worth keeping.  However, it is possible to change substrates; I did all my seven tanks over a year or two.  I would recommend removing the fish to a temporary (smaller) tank if any are present.

Byron.

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but I was considering switching the sand in my small 40l tank (shows up lots of detritus etc) to black gravel.  I assumed this would not show this up so much?   But looking at the above quote it looks like I could be wrong?

Do I stick with sand or switch to black gravel?

PS tank contains live plants, Black Neons and Amano Shrimp.

Thanks

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but I was considering switching the sand in my small 40l tank (shows up lots of detritus etc) to black gravel.  I assumed this would not show this up so much?   But looking at the above quote it looks like I could be wrong?

Do I stick with sand or switch to black gravel?

PS tank contains live plants, Black Neons and Amano Shrimp.

A single-colour substrate, such as black, will in my experience show detritus much more.  I certainly never see it as such in my seven tanks which all have sand except one that has fine gravel, whereas my one black substrate did.  The reason is likely that my play sand, like the gravel, is a mix of black, white, grey and tan particles.  So you may want to keep sand, but switch to a mix such as play sand, if you now have a uniform colour.  It is more natural in appearance, and the miniscule bits of detritus are never visible unless the sand is stirred.

Byron.

Thanks for the reply.

My larger tank (180l) looks ok with the sand.  It is just the small tank which has a lot of black detritus etc.  I think maybe it is the Amano Shrimp that cause this possibly?

Could that be right?

Le Sorcier said:
Thanks for the reply.

My larger tank (180l) looks ok with the sand.  It is just the small tank which has a lot of black detritus etc.  I think maybe it is the Amano Shrimp that cause this possibly?

Could that be right?

I've never kept these shrimp so can't answer, sorry.  Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back