From 10 gallon to my new 50 gallon, here we go!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I did my first chemical panel this morning on the new tank:

Ammonia 1.0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 5-10 ppm
Heater holding all of the water at a nice 77 degrees F.

Byron, the plants are probably keeping the nitrate count artifically low, but there is obviously some sort of cycle beginning by taking the ammonia which I did add to the tank. Byron, if you don't introduce ammonia to the tank how do you begin your "cycle" and why do you put "cycle" into quotes?

Things to learn, things to learn.

Nitrate...is this occurring within the aquarium, or is some nitrate present in your source water? Test the tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate so you will know.

Nitrite...may well stay at zero. I'll explain why below.

Ammonia...this is safer with plants, but I still say do not add more. Now I'll explain the "cycle" and nitrite.

Aquatic plants need nitrogen obviously, and most of them prefer it in the form ammonia/ammonium. Ammonium is the same as ammonia with one major exception...ammonium is safe for fish. We do not need to go into the chemistry, I couldn't explain it all that well anyway. In acidic water ammonia automatically changes into ammonium (which is basically harmless), but in basic water most of it remains ammonia (which is toxic). Live plants will take up ammonia/ammonium, and quite rapidly, faster then the Nitrosomonas bacteria. So with live plants, most of the ammonia is going to the plants. Plants do not produce nitrite, so this second toxin is avoided. And with little nitrite (so little you will not be able to test it above zero with any of our aquarium kits), nitrate obviously will be less too. Which is all good for fish.

The cycle will still establish itself, but slowly, and unseen or silent because our test kits do not measure it. This is the benefit of live plants. The faster growing the plant species are, the more ammonia/ammonium they take up. Floating plants are ideal for this, what many call "ammonia sinks," and in new tanks floating plants will always benefit a lot.

Nitrate is not taken up that much by plants, usually; they prefer ammonia/ammonium (they can change ammonia to ammonium in basic water). They only turn to nitrate when ammonium is insufficient in balance for their needs. Plants have to change the nitrate back into ammonium which takes extra energy, so they only do this as a last resort. It is the minimal bacteria changing ammonia/ammonium to nitrite to nitrate that is the reason nitrate is generally lower in planted tanks, sometimes (often) zero, which is perfect. Fish do not like nitrate, though it is not as rapidly toxic as ammonia or nitrite, but it is still toxic over time and at higher levels, and it weakens fish.

Byron.

The nitrate is from the tank, not the water, My tap tests 0.0 ppm every time for nitrate.

I am hoping my pennywort arrives soon to throw that in there too.

As you may remember, my water is so soft, ammonia API tests sometimes show ammonia even though it may actually be closer to zero (ammonium v. free ammonia.

As I understand if I get the nitrate to a higher level I can stock at least the school of Tetras?

The nitrate is from the tank, not the water, My tap tests 0.0 ppm every time for nitrate.

I am hoping my pennywort arrives soon to throw that in there too.

As you may remember, my water is so soft, ammonia API tests sometimes show ammonia even though it may actually be closer to zero (ammonium v. free ammonia.

As I understand if I get the nitrate to a higher level I can stock at least the school of Tetras?

Not exactly. If you are cycling, you want to see ammonia fall, nitrite rise and fall to zero, and nitrate rise. As I tried to explain previously, your live plants are taking most of the ammonia, so you may not see nitrite at all, and nitrate may lower (hopefully). Regardless, you do not want fish going in so long as ammonia is above zero. In acidic water it will be ammonium, but adding that pure ammonia is what bothers me. I will never do this. And test kits like the API read ammonia or ammonium as "ammonia."

So after several perfect chemistry days I have partially stocked the tank! I did it yesterday and the fish are so far, apparently, really getting used to the tank.

There is a flame gourami, 2 panda corys, and 5 raspboras. IMG_3652[1].JPGIMG_3654[1].JPGIMG_3651[1].JPG IMG_3656[1].JPG
Staring contest with the gourami!

I am hoping to move my cardinals and other 5 corys this coming weekend.
My iPhone camera is showing its age and not taking very good photos unfortunately, overdeveloping the colors or something.

Anyways, the tank is moving along nicely, all of the plants are growing fast.

Most reactions

Back