Freshwater Tlc

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

finchfarm

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Unfortunately, due to unforseen circumstances we are having to do a fish-in cycle. We've been keeping the ammonia levels down pretty low and have only lost one fish (an Angelfish) in the week and a half our tank has been cycling. A few weeks before we had our tank problem we bought a product called TLC for Freshwater Aquariums upon suggestion of the people at our FLS. I wanted to know if its okay to put it in the cycling tank. I haven't been using it, on the off chance.

For those not familiar with the product on the front of the bottle it reads:

"The chocie of aquarium professionals for a crystal clear, healthy tank.

• Eliminates toxic NH3 and N02 which can harm fish
• Cycles aquarium in 3 to 7 days rapidly yet safely
• Improves water quality, digests excess organic sludge
• Safe for all fish, vertebrates, and aquatic plants"

On the back it reads:

"Start-Up: 1/2 ounce for every 10 gallons tank volume. Repeat after 7 days. Always follor standard NH3 and N02 concentration guidelines when adding new species to your tank. Maintenance: 1/2 ounce for every 10 gallons. Repeat every 7 to 30 days.

This product contains live bacteria. Store at room temperature with cap closed. Refrigeration is not necessary.

This formulation is designed for Freshwater use only."

Just curious if this was something I could use while my tank is cycling or not.

i doubt it would do your tank any harm to use it, but it's unlikely to do any good either.

there's a lot of 'bacteria in a bottle' type products around, only two of them have ever shown to be any good they are bio-spira (USA) and Bactinettes (UKThere are two main reasons the other brands don't work

1 - the species of bacteria they use is not the one that fishkeepers need
2 - the conditions that the product is transported in (extreme heat and cold) then being left sat on the shelf of the lfs for months gathering dust is enough to kill off the bacteria.

Both bactinettes and bio-spira only work if they have been kept refrigerated from factory to shop and when you buy them it should be out of the fridge at the lfs.

so yes by all means use it if you like, just don't expect it to have any positive effect on your cycle. If you can get hold of either of the products above they may do the job.

It depends on how it it "eliminates" ammonia and nitrite. If it is supposed to remove them then it's bad for the tank as there won't be ammonia and nitrite present so the tank can cycle naturally. As mentioned, it is doubtful that it contains any bacteria that will actually aid in the cycling process. Only the 2 products mentioned seem to actually do any good.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back