Freshwater plant suggestions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lefky

Reaction score
I currently have a filtered 20 gallon freshwater tank and I am now looking for some live plants to add to it. I currently have 1 Gasteropelecus sternicla, 1 Angelfish, 4 Neon Tetras, and 4 Corydoras aeneus. I would rather have a floating plants but I would also look into rooted ones anyone suggests. I am still semi new to tank keeping and would prefer an easy, hardy plant for my tank.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Total Hardness: 75 soft
Total Chlorine: 0
Total Alkalinity: 120
pH: 7.8
With the Nitrate/Nitrite, the number can be anywhere from 0 to 4.9
With the Ammonia the number can be from 0 to 24
The test counts in intervals of .5 and 25

Have the tank lights on for 10-12 hours a day.
If you get lots of green algae then reduce the light by an hour a day and monitor the algae over the next 2 weeks.
If you don't get any green algae on the glass then increase the lighting period by an hour and monitor it.
If you get a small amount of algae then the lighting time is about right.

Some good plants to try include Ambulia, Hygrophila polysperma, H. ruba/ rubra, Elodia (during summer, but don't buy it in winter because it falls apart), Hydrilla, common Amazon sword plant, narrow Vallis, Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta).

The Water Sprite normally floats on the surface but can also be planted in the substrate. The other plants should be planted in the gravel.

If you add an iron based aquarium plant fertiliser, it will help most aquarium plants do well. The liquid iron based fertilisers tend to be better than the tablet forms, although you can push the tablets under the roots of plants and that works well.

I use Sera Florena liquid plant fertiliser but there are other brands too.

Do not bother adding carbon fertiliser to the tank because they are not necessary.

Have the tank lights on for 10-12 hours a day.
If you get lots of green algae then reduce the light by an hour a day and monitor the algae over the next 2 weeks.
If you don't get any green algae on the glass then increase the lighting period by an hour and monitor it.
If you get a small amount of algae then the lighting time is about right.

Some good plants to try include Ambulia, Hygrophila polysperma, H. ruba/ rubra, Elodia (during summer, but don't buy it in winter because it falls apart), Hydrilla, common Amazon sword plant, narrow Vallis, Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta).

The Water Sprite normally floats on the surface but can also be planted in the substrate. The other plants should be planted in the gravel.

If you add an iron based aquarium plant fertiliser, it will help most aquarium plants do well. The liquid iron based fertilisers tend to be better than the tablet forms, although you can push the tablets under the roots of plants and that works well.

I use Sera Florena liquid plant fertiliser but there are other brands too.

Do not bother adding carbon fertiliser to the tank because they are not necessary.
Would I have to cover the entire bottom with fertilizer or can I just put some in a small area and the plant will be fine? And im guessing I will have to add it more than once?

If you get a liquid iron based fertiliser, you simply add it to the tank a couple of times a week and it mixes into the water with the current from the filter.

If you use tablets, then you push one under the roots of some of the plants. Tablets are normally dosed at 1 tablet per 20 litres of water (but check the directions on the packet). If you have a 100 litre tank you put 5 tablets in under 5 plants.

I personally prefer the liquid because it's simpler to use and doesn't cause foamy bubbles on the surface, which can happen with some brands of fertiliser tablet.

The fertilisers I am talking about are for aquarium plants only and are not terrestrial plant fertilisers. Do Not use plant fertilisers for normal garden plants because they will kill the fish. You only use aquarium plant fertilisers from a pet shop.

If you get a liquid iron based fertiliser, you simply add it to the tank a couple of times a week and it mixes into the water with the current from the filter.

If you use tablets, then you push one under the roots of some of the plants. Tablets are normally dosed at 1 tablet per 20 litres of water (but check the directions on the packet). If you have a 100 litre tank you put 5 tablets in under 5 plants.

I personally prefer the liquid because it's simpler to use and doesn't cause foamy bubbles on the surface, which can happen with some brands of fertiliser tablet.

The fertilisers I am talking about are for aquarium plants only and are not terrestrial plant fertilisers. Do Not use plant fertilisers for normal garden plants because they will kill the fish. You only use aquarium plant fertilisers from a pet shop.
So I can simply add the plant to the tank (leave it floating or dug beneath the gravel), and add the liquid a few times a week?

Most reactions

trending

Back