Freshwater Filter Feeders.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

saz326

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Morning.

I have always had floating particles in my tank as I have fish that are forever kicking up substrate. Rather than putting a fine filter sponge in my filter, I would like to know if I can take the opertunity to house any filter feeders like fan shrimp or freshwater clams that could co-exist with my fish.

Tank is 200 litres, although I have a substrate bank and wood so around 190 litres.

Fish are:
Pair of spawning cockatoo dwarf cichlids
Pair of keyhole cichlids
5 silver tipped tetra
7 black phantom tetra
3 black skirt tetra
1 Bristlenose
6 corydora (mixed)

Water is hard, with injected CO2. Tank is well planted. Light on 12 hours a day.

substrate is black gravel. 2 to 4 mm sized.

I would like a fan shrimp so that I could watch its actions, but I am sure my fish would start to munch on it. Could clams be a way forward?

The only thing I think that would give a Giant Cameroon Armoured Shrimp a possible issue would be the keyholes, depending on how large they are. Should be fine as long as he has a couple of decent places to hide though. I've kept mine with spawning dwarf cichlids with no problems before, both rams and apistos.

Freshwater clam may just last if you put it so that the bogwood is near the filter outlet so that there is a high flow over it and feed daily with fry food when the "tongue" is out

I realise however I have heard of people having success through direct feeding from a pippette.

Freshwater clam may just last if you put it so that the bogwood is near the filter outlet so that there is lots of food and occasionally feed with crushed up feed which flows over them.
they need green water or they will die.

Keyholes will be an issue, won't they?

But, I think Bamboo/wood shrimps are 6-7", and are filter shrimps.
Not sure if they can survive with those cichlid's tho.

Most reactions

trending

Back