Fresh-Water Newbie

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hmmmmmmm, i'd take them outside with a bucket of water and play with them there until they work, yes they might be needing priming. can we have a picture?

In the future, if it's a HOB, just open the top and pour tank water into the filter to help prime it and start the 'siphon.'

so ive been trying to cycle this 2nd 29gal and its not really working. the ammo is just sitting at 2ppm for like the past 3 days. i used dirty filters and have had this running for a week. the first 29 was pretty easy and it worked out perfectly. not sure whats up.

Do a large water change and rotate some media around with an established filter. There are plenty of reasons why it may sit at 2 ppm.. possibly something to do with the bacteria taking their time to start multiplying or something being off about the water.. in a normal fish-less cycle without seeding, it takes about 5-15 days before there is a drop in ammonia.

well going by how i cycled the last 29 its just taking alot longer and nothing is really changing. i moved a bunch of stuff around and shook the filters a little.

i check it and the ammo is lower so its just slowly getting cycled i guess. i also raised the temp in the tank :good:

i did a 50% water change in this "new" 29gal today and shook around a filter out of my 55 in the tank for the filter to pick up. after its all settled and clear again my levels are:
ammo .5
trite 1
trate 20

think i should do another water change or wait and see what it looks like tmrw? this one has taken alot longer to get cycled, think im getting close?

It won't really do a lot to shake around your filter in the water. If you can take a chunk of the filter media off the 55g filter and put it in your 29g filter, that would help a lot. And then do another big water change.

well i found a girl that had to small dirty filters and i put them in a big power filter with a cotton "mesh" from a bio bag and i just didnt really seem to do the trick so thats why i got one of the dirty filters out of the 55 to shake out in front of it to hopefully pick up some of that fresh bacteria. i figured it was better than nothing. my "first" 29gal is cycled and im debating taking that filter out to put in a 40i on my coffee table tank to get it up and running. thinking about putting those gold fish in there because they arent skiddish at all and will have plenty of room to roam around without other fish. so im trying to finish a cycle on the "newer" 29gal that ive been working on for almost 2 weeks and now about to start another one lol. im not just gonna start throwing fish in these things until they are ready to roll.

i have a buddy that has a dirty large whisper filter from a turtle tank, would that be ok to try to run in one of these? figured id ask before doing something stupid lol..

waited on the water change today because im doing paperwork and just checked the water to see what it looks like before i do a change and it looks good!
ammo - 0
trite - 0
trate - 5

Yay you!
yahoo.gif

haha thanks. i just put a dirty 30i out of the 55 in the 25gal coffee table to start it rolling. replaced it with a 40i so now i have a 30 and 40 in the 55gal (even better). im learning and doing the best i can. :good:

Most reactions

Back