Fresh Water Clams!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

prmdc098

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi people i bought three fresh water clams from my local store and only one of them seems to be alive as you see the clam open and the animal hang out plus bury its self under the gravel but the other too havent opend or moved how can i tell if there alive?

If they aren't opened, they're still alive. A dead clam wouldn't have the strength to hold it's shells together.

Hi people i bought three fresh water clams from my local store and only one of them seems to be alive as you see the clam open and the animal hang out plus bury its self under the gravel but the other too havent opend or moved how can i tell if there alive?

chances are they are going to die...most cant live in captivity..even marine clams are extremely hard to feed. they filter feed and quickly deplete the nutrients of the water. they need a constant flow of the stuff.

thats cool he burried himself though...ive wanted these but have read they can be a waste of time and money.

ah really man thats bad hope they dont die

If it is alive it should be buried in the sand/gravel, open just a crack, with a small 'mouth' showing to suck water in.
If it is gaping wide open, remove it at once, as a dead clam can kill everything in the tank within hours. It can also kill you if you sniff it – Satan uses dead clams as an underarm deodorant..!

If it is alive it should be buried in the sand/gravel, open just a crack, with a small 'mouth' showing to suck water in.
If it is gaping wide open, remove it at once, as a dead clam can kill everything in the tank within hours. It can also kill you if you sniff it – Satan uses dead clams as an underarm deodorant..!
Well it there neither of them things
There kinda just sitting on the gravel
There not wide open and not open atol really
There not comming out now atol
:sad:

Mine [a big 3 inch job] sat there for the first day, and then a huge foot came out and dig it into the gravel, where it has been ever since. I don't know what yours are doing – thinking maybe..? :blink:

Mine [a big 3 inch job] sat there for the first day, and then a huge foot came out and dig it into the gravel, where it has been ever since. I don't know what yours are doing – thinking maybe..? :blink:
They still havent moved since sunday

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back