Fresh Water Clams

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

looby loo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Im looking 2 buy some Fresh Water Clams for my community 80L tank I have been searching and had no such look !!!!!!
Im in Manchester UK. I wud buy online but I cant seem 2 find them. Can anyone help me please also i want some small shrimp for mr 5+1/2g currently stocked with 7 neon tetra. Please help or give me a good link. :good: :nod:

Almost anyone who really knows about FW clams will say dont do it, they need very specific filter feeder tanks and will simply die slowly in any other conditions. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Look up the reproduction cycle of the clam and you will see why its a bad idea. Another reason i wouldnt suggest getting them is that they dissolve really really fast after they die, and that isnt that good for your water.

i dont know if this was a good idea, but i caught 4 clams from a nearby river. i havent lost any and i see them when ever i vacuum my gravel. when i accidently resurface them they quickly burrow back into the gravels.

isnt there some species of filter feeding shrimp? that could be a better alternitive.

i dont know if this was a good idea, but i caught 4 clams from a nearby river. i havent lost any and i see them when ever i vacuum my gravel. when i accidently resurface them they quickly burrow back into the gravels.

isnt there some species of filter feeding shrimp? that could be a better alternitive.

Wood/singapore/bamboo shrimp are pretty good at that stuff. They would be a way better alternative, and you will actually see them using their fan like hands to catch stuff.

Yes, I would definately reccomend bamboo shrimp over fw clams. Even with the shrimp though, I'd only put them in a VERY well established tank if it were me. Although I have heard otherwise, my experience with bamboo shrimp is they are as picky as otos about new tanks and having just the right conditions.

Almost anyone who really knows about FW clams will say dont do it, they need very specific filter feeder tanks and will simply die slowly in any other conditions. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
+2

Thank u all for ur replies I think I will probably leave the clams then. Also I will wait a little longer fo the shrimp. Thanks again for the advise. :good: :nod:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back