Found Two Tanks In My Barn!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tmoney7

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey so i went through my barn because i remembered that i had a 10gal tank from about 6 years ago and also that my brother had a tank from his teenage years.  Guess what i was right!  i found what i know is a ten gallon and also my brothers old one which i think is a 20galk (its measurements are 2' L, 1' W, and 14" H) so i don't know if that is a 20gal or not, anybody know?

A quick calculation tells me that those measurements come up with 17.45 US gallons.  It may have been marketed at 20g.

There is a calculator on this site under more and it says that your tank is 66 liters or 15 imp. Gallons or 17 US gallons.

Before you use it, fill it with water to make sure it holds water - no cracks or breaks in the seals.  And clean if, of course, but that should go without saying. 
whistling.gif

Oh yea i forgot about the calculator 
happy.png
.  That's OK that its a 17 gal it's more than i had before!

Yea i am definitely going to fill it with water after i clean it and then get some silicon sealer at my lfs and fix anything that needs to be fixed 
smile2.gif

Elrohirthehasty said:
A quick calculation tells me that those measurements come up with 17.45 US gallons.  It may have been marketed at 20g.

I hope not. If I buy a 20g tank, I expect it to hold 20g. A discrepancy of 12½% surely would be unacceptable in the US, as it is here.

Happens all the time.  I think my "29gallon" tank is actually 28.1g.  If you do the calcs of cubic inches and just convert to gallons, you'll see that all the standard rectangle tanks are optimistic in their reported volumes.  I'm sure it's cause they make the glass panels in convenient sizes (6,12,18,24,etc), and then find the volume.

http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/aquariumsandstands/a/tanksizesweights.htm

Don't go using this as an excuse to think that America is barbaric and full of imbeciles though - no one cares about precision in fish tank volumes enough for a class action lawsuit.

(Edit: a 55 gallon tank, by cubic inches volume, is actually 56.7 gallons.  You win some, you lose some I guess.)

Elrohirthehasty said:
Don't go using this as an excuse to think that America is barbaric and full of imbeciles though

No, there's plenty of other excuses to think that..... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHjIb6trxBI

But anyway, I guess that's another of the myriad cultural differences between our nations. Whilst the odd millilitre or three wouldn't make a difference, 2½ gallons out of 20 sure as hell would. Manufacturers would never get away with it.

One may notice the OP's dimensions do not match any "standard" dimensions.  The 14in height, rather than the 16in, would make that difference. I was just guessing when I said "marketed at 20g".  For all I know it may have been marketed at 18, or even 17.5, but both those are wrong as well.  Reporting a 17.45 gallon tank is a bit much.  (Just like marketing a 41.47inch tv would be). <-Made that number up.  What's also interesting is that our forum's calculator reports 17 gallons, when the actual volume is 17.45g. Hmm.

The thing that is the same with both of our nations is that they both have superiority complexes, as a state and many individuals.  (I'm not saying you do, I just notice that a lot when Brits and 'Mericans start arguing.)

Just to ask, how are your computer screens and tvs marketed for size?  How big is the petrol tank in your car?  Speaking of cars, how many miles per gallon or liters per 100 kilometers do you actually get?  How long does your laptop battery last?  I'll bet manufacturers get away with more than you suppose. (Yes those last two are conditions of many things, not just straight measurements.)

Well, such are the inadequacies of the Imperial System of Measurement (and the US Customary Units): some of the time (much of the time), they just are inconvenient.  I love BTUs though.  Sigh, can't we just switch to SI? (No, the US has tried lots of times http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication_in_the_United_States).

SCORE!  I MEAN SERIOUSLY. I LOVE CLEANING NOW BECAUSE I ALWAYS PRAY I WILL FIND ANOTHER TANK!  i have found 2 so far as well!

yea  now i just have to find a place to put them!

Most reactions

Back