Found Some Freshwater Jellyfish, Anyone Know Anything About Them?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

melknee

Reaction score
So my boyfriend and a few of his friends regularly go boating on a nearby river-lake and came back yesterday with a two liter bottle half full of water with about 10 freshwater jellyfish. I didn't believe him when he called me on his way back and told me what they'd found, but looking at them there is no denying what they are.

They measure an average of about 1cm in diameter and are completely see through with little tentacles around the perimeter of the balloon looking mushroom head thingy, there's also larger more substantial tentacles hanging down from the center of some depending on the size of the organism (sorry I don't know the technical terms for jellyfish anatomy). I did a very little bit of research and found out they do in fact exist and are a real thing (go figure), and that according to the wildlife commission and army core of engineers records they have been found in this body of water before.

My question is, does anyone know anything about caring for these little guys, what they eat and if it is available for purchase, can they go into a tank with two plecos, do you need a special kind of filter for it to be safe for them, and in general any information on how hard it is to care for jellyfish. I literally know nothing about them and have never seen them in my local fish store or very many invertebrates for that matter. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I can't say I've had any experience with these or read on them really but I would assume like other jellyfish they'd need a rounded tank..and I don't think they'd be good to keep with plecos. :/

This is interesting! I've frequently said that jellyfish and lion fish are the only things that would send me to the salty side, but freshwater jellies would be exciting. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread, but I don't know much at all about jellies.

Ninjouzata said:
I can't say I've had any experience with these or read on them really but I would assume like other jellyfish they'd need a rounded tank..and I don't think they'd be good to keep with plecos. :/
I didn't know they needed rounded tanks. Why is that, Ninj? (Depending on size requirements, fresh jellies would work out well for a certain cylinder tank I had lying around somewhere. Might be gone now.)

I could easily be wrong but I have always heard that and I believe it was because they get stuck in the corners? And you need some sort of flow to keep them going in a circular motion? I could be spouting nonsense so ignore me :lol:

I think most tanks need to be circular, but i also think if the tank is big enough they can be in square tanks, they definitely need a pump that makes them flow in circular motion. But im not an expert either haha

These looked like they were in a square tank, but i could only see the edges, which could mean they were still rounded...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back