Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Former Newbie's African Cichlid Experience

Discussion in 'African / Old World Cichlids' started by Demeter32, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Demeter32

Demeter32 Member

Alright, so last week I went to my LPS and they had done a big water change on their display tank, they also pull as many fry as they can find when they do this. Before, I had mentioned that I would like a couple frontosa fry. She said they were able to catch 3 fry and the owner took 2 of them home. He though the 3rd had gone down the drain. He thought wrong and there it was in all its glory with dozens of other fry in the shop tank. The cashier said she would not mention it to the owner who was coming by that day and if he didn't see it she would save it for me. Fast forward to yesterday I checked in to see if the little fontosa was still there.

Frontosa fry1_1480.JPG
    Frontosa fry2.JPG

It was, and now it's in my 29gal fry tank. It's barely 1.5in. I don't really plan to keep it forever, just till it is a young adult then I will trade it back in.

I also bought another young 3in adult male. He's definitely a cross-breed. Looks very similar to a rock kribensis, he's actually kinda ugly. I'll take pictures when he stops being shy.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Demeter32

Demeter32 Member

The OB mbuna a got a while back is finally large enough to be tossed into the main tank. I took a quick measurement of him (just over 2'') and put him/her in yesterday after a large water change. Not sure on gender yet, but there's a lot of vibrant egg spots on the anal fin. The other mbuna is also getting more egg spots and his pelvic fins are getting pretty long.
    IMG_1484.JPG IMG_1485.JPG
    Something unfortunate occured during the water change....

I made a huge mess and spilled 3+ gallons all over the kitchen floor. I had carried the 5gal bucket up the stairs, was nearly to the door to dump it outside, and the handle broke. Luckily the bucket didn't land on my foot, but I had a fun time soaking up all the water. Good thing we hadn't re-done the kitchen floor to wood yet.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Demeter32

Demeter32 Member

I discovered a pleasant surprise today. I noticed that the big one-eyed female peacock had been holding for a lot longer than usual. She's only every given unfertilized eggs which she usually holds for about a week to 10 days. I decided to grab her and strip the eggs but found a few dozen fry instead. She must of spawned with either the OB male or possibly the blue Ahli. Good thing I stripped them because in a couple more days they probably would of been released and then eaten in the main tank. I wasn't the least bit prepared for more fry so they're in a little breeder box floating in the 10gal with larger fry.

IMG_1534.JPG
    IMG_1537.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  4. NickAu

NickAu Member

Babies, cool

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Demeter32

Demeter32 Member

Yep, should be interesting to see how they turn out.

Another good development has occurred. The chronically ill female first generation cross-breed that I've had for 2 years and has been sick for more than half of those years has finally died. This may sound bad, but I'm glad she's gone. I've kept her in a 20gal alone so now I can finally use it for something else, after a few water changes and a good cleaning of course. Should be the perfect tank to move the new peacock and 3rd generation fry into.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Demeter32

Demeter32 Member

I've got update pictures. I also traded in 2 of the older cross breeds that were in the main tank. A male and female.

I've just woken the fish up so they were nice and calm for picture taking.
    EBA sleeping.JPG

This mbuna has turned out looking great. I hope he doesn't develop aggression or he'll be booted out.
    blue mbuna2.JPG blue mbuna1.JPG

My pastel 2nd Gen. male, who doens't look pastel when he's in sleep mode.
    IMG_1776.JPG
    That new guy I mentioned a while back, the ugly one that looks similar to the rock krib. I promise he has color when he's awake.
    IMG_1779.JPG IMG_1787.JPG

My little orange OB boy(probably). I'm hoping to breed him to the oldest OB fry once they are old enough. The males are just starting to show color. I'll get some update pictures in a moment.
    Orange OB peacock 10-4-17.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  7. SeanTrollope

SeanTrollope Member

nice

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Demeter32

Demeter32 Member

Updates for the some of the fry. The Frontosa is looking good. It's putting on weight and has a nice blue.
    IMG_1814.JPG IMG_1815.JPG
    This is one of the male OB juveniles. I think there's 3 males so far, but this one has the most color.
    IMG_1837.JPG

• Like Like x 2