Former Cichlid Tank as New tropical tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

rookie-cichlid1978

Reaction score
Hi all,
This is my story and I could use some help/advice.
Started with 25g cube tank and cycled for 2 weeks. Aqueon HOB Quiet 75.
Added 3 fish and 1 week later, added 5 more (with 1 return and 1 killed)
So 6 fish in a tank (all Malawi cichlids) for about 1.5 weeks
Realized from the cichlid-forum feedback that the bio filter had not setup because there was no nitrite/nitrate spike and ammonia climbed and held at 2ppm. Due to tank size issues, the cichlids went back to the LFS and I decided to follow the procedure here for a fishless cycling. My tank now has 2 Anubias and a hornwort. The biofilter, carbon filter, gravel have not been touched since I took the fish back.

Day 0: Ammonia 2ppm, Nitrites 0.5ppm, Nitrates 5-10ppm (API test kit); pH 8.2; Temp 77F
Day 1: Added 1.25 ml Ammonia for Ammonia 3ppm, Nitrites and Nitrates (same as above)
Day 3: Ammonia holding, Nitrites 0.25, Nitrates <5ppm

This is not a "true" new tank and has lots of organics, waste and a 3 week old filter setup PLUS Tetra quick start solution. My questions from my story are:
  1. Should I not expect some movement in levels after 3 days??
  2. How much longer is reasonable to wait?
  3. What can I do next if this process doesnt take off?
Could use some insight so that I can get going. Feels like 2 months in, I am still in "tank setup" mode :( Thank you for your help and support.

1. All cycles vary, but you may not see discernible movement for a couple of weeks.
2. I'd suggest waiting up to three weeks from your first ammonia dose (following the "Cycling a Tank" thread available at the top of the screen under "How To Tips").
3. Keep coming back here and asking questions. It seems like nothing is happening, but it's better to be patient than put fish in danger by rushing things. Good to see you returned your fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back