FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Xzavier247

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score

welcomeani.gif
 What is your favorite foreground plant? This is an open discussion for others to see whats available and what it looks like.
Please submit your answer following with a picture.
photo.gif
  This is to also help others who are new to the planted tank. 
book.gif

I'll start off with Dwarf Hairgrass. 
FinalEntry09small.jpg

Another Favorite of mine, Pogostemon helferi "star shaped" foreground beauty. Awesome in person.

DSC05821.JPG

For me, it depends on the tank, for high tech, and if you can get the conditions right then Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba' is a major contender, although I'm also a fan of glosso and hairgrass works well.

For low tech tanks hairgrass can be a bit sparse and look a bit lost. Pogostemon, as you've pictured, I've found grows ok in small clumps but doesn't grow in the carpet like you have pictured. However options like staurogyne repens, e tennelus or some of the smaller crypts or saggitaria make a good option.

I'm not a huge fan of attempts at moss carpets, it doesn't really like to grow that way in my experience, and never really looks happy as a carpet.

RIght now I've been looking at using Marsilea in a set up, also a lovely plant, but I have a propogator full of lilaeopsis, which will probably end up going in as I already have it.

hmm this is a hard one i don't think i have a single fav but i do love DHG and I'm trying to grow it in my current tank it is slowly getting there but i do love crypts and my tank is mostly crypts at the moment

Just bought some pogo hefleri from petsmart. I really hope they turn out great and not melt. Buying crowns are way to expensive.

Pygmy chain swords and crypt parva I like the most although Parva can be hard to grow sometimes. 

BenVernon said:
Pygmy chain swords and crypt parva I like the most although Parva can be hard to grow sometimes. 
Great choice.

Wish me luck on my tissue culture. 2 weeks later and they're looking great!

Um the dwarf hairgrass in the first pic!!!! I only have a small tuft of it right now. Do you think it will grow in that much?!?!

stanleo said:
Um the dwarf hairgrass in the first pic!!!! I only have a small tuft of it right now. Do you think it will grow in that much?!?!
It takes months. You need high lighting and co2 don't forget ferts. It would grow like crazy

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back