Flying Fox Or Sae?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

EChord

Reaction score
I bought these guys at auction, and they were labelled as 'Flying Fox, Not Siamese Algae Eaters' but they sure as heck look like SAE's to me based on the all the pics I've been looking at. I'm wondering if the seller got mixed up between the two species, but I was hoping to get someone with more experience to confirm my suspicion. If they're actually true flying foxes, I'm going to need to re-home them since they won't work long term in my tank. 

FFSAE1.jpg
FFSAE2.jpg

They are saes so don't worry you can keep them 
smile.png
 they are often mislabelled as flying foxes I have one that was also labelled as such and when I called it an sae they corrected me to flying fox lol.

definitely a Siamese Algae Eater. I have 3 in my tank. I got them to eat BBA as the SAE is the only fish that will and they cleared my tank of BBA in about 12 weeks. 

If they were flying foxes the dorsal fin would have a red edge, the black lateral line would end at the base of the tail and would also have a smooth edge with a gold line underneath. The barbels are also different 

I concur, those photos are SAE, species being Crossocheilus langei.  You may know, they attain 6 inches (16 cm), and being shoaling should have a small group as a distinct hierarchy will form.

Byron.

Thank you for confirming! I'm thinking the seller may have thought FF's as a species were SAE's and vice versa. Last little bit of worry that I might be making a mistake about these guys now alleviated. Thank you!

it's very common for sellers to get the species mixed up. When I got mine they were labelled as Siamese flying foxes - as if to confuse things further! 

Oh definitely - it can often be worse with the plants, especially when they rename a species to something that's currently in use for a totally different plant (even if it is being used erroneously). lol   

I've never kept either FF's or SAE's, though I've certainly read about them, hence me getting a final verdict from folks that have seen them in person. Then there they were at the semi-annual auction (for the first time in like four or five auctions), and I've actually been trying to get rid of a bit of BBA so it seemed like I was being handed them on a platter. lol Plus I think they're an attractive fish. :)

how big are they and how many did you get? 

I have three in my 4ft tank and they've grown much bigger and fatter than I expected. I'd read all the stuff and thought I was prepared but mine are huge now. I'm glad I only got three. Out of the three there's one that is definitely the boss - he/she is the fattest and the longest. 

The good news is that they won't breed in captivity - at least I won't be dealing with breeding behaviour or babies! Did you know that they are really long lived too? 10 years being the average. 

You'll need to suppliment their diet - they can't survive on the BBA or algae alone. Mine will eat cucumber and courgette (I believe you call it zuccini in the US) but they will fight over algae wafers. I give mine New Era (now called Vitalis) plec pellets. 

I'd add a photo of mine if photo bucket would behave!

It was a lot of four, but they're small yet - I'd guess about 1.5 inches. I know they get to be about 5-6 inches, and if I don't have a big enough tank for them at that point, then I'll rehome them with someone that does. I've done that in the past with clown loaches, though I haven't kept them in many years - I have a school of kuhlis who have to be at least 8 years old now. I've also got otos in that tank, so I already supplement for them, and their little bellies are always full, so I think all is well on that front. :)

Getting pics of them was not easy at all! I was using my phone and they rarely stayed still when they were out and about. When they rested on the leaves, most of the time they were too shaded and the pic either came out blurry or too dark, so I totally feel your pain on the picture front. lol

let me see if photobucket is behaving this morning then I can show you mine which are now (hopefully) fully grown

aha - it's behaving today. Here you go

095_zpsyjswdgsa.jpg

005_zpsxokge4av.jpg

They are now longer than my BN plec and almost as fat too. What I can tell you is they are very lazy fish, they don't zoom around the tank or anything like that. Mine spend their time nibbling algae, bickering between themselves and resting on the sand like in the photo

EChord said:
It was a lot of four, but they're small yet - I'd guess about 1.5 inches. I know they get to be about 5-6 inches, and if I don't have a big enough tank for them at that point, then I'll rehome them with someone that does. I've done that in the past with clown loaches, though I haven't kept them in many years.

I have to comment on this practice as it is harmful to the fish for a couple of reasons.

First, fish grow throughout their lives, and they must have adequate space (in terms of water volume and physical environment) throughout or they can be negatively impacted physiologically.  There comes a point in their life at which they do not respond all that well to another home.

But even more importantly for this species (the SAE), the initial group will develop an hierarchy.  Akasha mentioned her three SAE interacting, and that is evidence of their hierarchy.  After a time, that becomes established, and separating the group or adding more is likely to have consequences.  To put it bluntly, it is just not fair treatment to the fish.  You also need more than two; three is absolute minimum, as with two there is more chance that one will be so dominant the other becomes the loser.  This is just as crucial for clown loaches, as the loaches are a highly social fish.

One should never acquire fish for which you do not now have adequate housing, to provide what the species requires from early on.  The green citation in my signature is pertinent.  Fish are living creatures, with needs and behaviours programmed into them over thousands of years of evolution, and as aquarists if we take them home, then we become responsible for their life, and we should aim to make it as natural as possible for their sake if nothing else.

Byron.

oh yes, there is a definite hierarchy with my three. They got that sorted out once they hit adulthood. For a time I would observe them having a real proper falling out, their colour would fade so that the black lateral line was almost non-existent but this behaviour was short lived and they got it sorted out. As mentioned I have one that is bigger than the other two and that one appears to be the boss of the three. If it wants access to the food first the other two are chased away. None of the behaviour caused any physical damage but I could see that they were sorting out the hierarchy between them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back