Fluval U3 Questions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Dlee13

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have a 20g all in one Blue Planet tank which was cycling hut then the filter died. Rather then get it replaced with the same poor model, I decided to get the Fluval U3 internal since canisters are out of my budget and there's no room for a HOB!

The two things I was wondering are, can I keep the filter in a horizontal position instead of vertical near the top of the tank? And is it ok to use filter wool to replace the Carbon pads?

yes to both. i have one and although i have never used it horizontally i have seen them deployed like that. but i have used filter wool in mine instead of the carbon pads when when treating the tank with medication. worked like a dream.

bigcheed said:
yes to both. i have one and although i have never used it horizontally i have seen them deployed like that. but i have used filter wool in mine instead of the carbon pads when when treating the tank with medication. worked like a dream.
Ok thanks for the reply and that's great news, my old filter was an overhead and was pretty weak so I'm looking forward to using the U3! Did you leave the other foam/sponge pads and bio balls in?

Dlee13 said:

Ok thanks for the reply and that's great news, my old filter was an overhead and was pretty weak so I'm looking forward to using the U3! Did you leave the other foam/sponge pads and bio balls in?

I've got a U2 in my daughter's tank and they're a nice little filter.I left what came with it in but as per bigcheed, filter wool would be fine in it. the sponges and ceramics/bio balls are good to leave in I would say.(just make sure you take the bio balls out of the plastic bag..... 
blush.png
 )

Yep. I just cut some pieces of fine filter wool to size and squished them in top of the original course foam pads. Worked really well and made the water crystal clear. Did consider sticking to that set up as the carbon pads are a bit pricey. But found a good source on e bay. Can get 3 packs for the price of two for about £12 delivered.

I removed the plastic frame effort that is in the Poly/carbon element and used it to secure the wool sheet I had in place
smile.png

Hey everyone! My U3 arrived in the mall today unexpectedly (Amazon have such great shipping) so I'm going to clean out my tank, buy the new gravel and will replace the carbon with wool when I'm ready to fill the tank!

After I determine how much wool to put in, should I give the wool a wash in tap water before adding it to the filter? It's brand new in a packet but should I wash it anyway?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back