Fluval Edge

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Macko1968

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was in my LFS & came accross the new Fluval Edge tanks.

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquarium...tre-pewter.html

Looks very trendy & I thought it would make a good hospital tank. However, there appears to be no way of using a heater with it as the glass top has no opening for the power cord. If that's the case I can't help thinking Fluval have dropped the ball with this.

[URL="http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquarium...tre-pewter.html"]http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquarium...tre-pewter.html[/URL]

Looks very trendy & I thought it would make a good hospital tank. However, there appears to be no way of using a heater with it as the glass top has no opening for the power cord. If that's the case I can't help thinking Fluval have dropped the ball with this.

Its al built in i think

andrew

Yeah, that's what I thought, but my LFS reckon not. Oh & Fluval should know better than recommending 2 small fantails as suitable stocking.

Yeah, that's what I thought, but my LFS reckon not. Oh & Fluval should know better than recommending 2 small fantails as suitable stocking.

Its the same for all manufacturers, on the box they always show silly stocking :crazy:

I'm sure the heater is built in, im sure there were tropical endlers in the tank at my LFS

andrew

Apparently the Fluval Edge has the option of adding a heater if required.

[URL="http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquarium...tre-pewter.html"]http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquarium...tre-pewter.html[/URL]

I have a Fluval Edge with a Heater. You thread it through the back with the filter power cord, although I am having doubts about the tank as the fish seem to stay near the top of the tank and look like their fighting for air. I hadn't had the tank long before I lost 3 fish and I have now resorted to not filling the tank fully. I still have the box and am considering taking it back

Thanks for this Scootgirl, I may just have found a hospital tank.

Not wishing to patronise you, but your fish hangng at the top - did you cycle your tank prior to adding your fish?

I've a Fluval Edge tank.

First time fish owner who fancied an 'different' tank to the norm.

Learning very fast, though sadly to the loss of some very nice fish.

I've decided to mantain the water-level at 5-10mm below the glass top and use a pump to give extra O2. Had some problems to start with, as I'm new to keeping fish, and needed to treat a snail problem. Realise now that when I purchase plants in future I need to treat them first and rinse before putting them into the take, otherwise the death of the snails produces some nasty side-effects in the water's balance.

Anyhow, after this set-back we now have a healthy tropical tank with 4 Guppies (1 male - 3 females), 4 Neons, 4 small Shrimp, and a Sieamse Fighter Fish. We have a self testing kit so that we can watch the quality of the water and have discovered that the best way to clean the tank is to do a small water change once a week and clean one section of the tank. Have to admit the opening at the top is small, so best have nimble hands, but everything appears ok.

I heard these tanks are quite hard to maintain? This could be if it was planted that it is hard, if its just a standard tank with some plastic plants I guess it would be fine.

Hi
I am new. Just reading your forum. I have a Fluval Edge 6 gallon and absolutely love it. I am not an expert by any means but have had small tanks for years. I keep this on my kitchen counter and it is very sharp. I am not sure about the filter yet as I used one with a cartridge that was disposable with my last tank (we moved and I gave away my fish and equipment before our move so this is a new set up for me in our new home) We have a couple danios and a cat fish on the bottom plus a small apple snail. I am using some high quality fake plants because my experience is that snails always cut off all the plants. I love snails so I feed them various veggies.

I am trying to find where to buy the media for this fluval edge filter but so far I have not be successful. Does anyone know where I can buy this? I am reading through the material that came with the tank but can not find it anywhere.

Anyway I am not having a problem with the fish in my tank. I fill it to the top as stated in the instructions. I love that it is glass instead of plastic like most of the other small tanks It looks awesome and so far so good with the fish. I have had it up and running for a few weeks.

nice forum btw

becky

Yeah, I saw these when I was in seapets the other day, They are very attractive but the main issue I had with them was that a 23 litre was almost £90, my 90l new all included cost less than that XD I think if you have the money for it and you can work out a good way to fit everything inside that's great, but I definitly don't see myself buying one at all...

-Rezz

[Sorry just relized that this was a revived dead topic]

I've a Fluval Edge tank.

I've decided to mantain the water-level at 5-10mm below the glass top and use a pump to give extra O2. Had some problems to start with, as I'm new to keeping fish, and needed to treat a snail problem. Realise now that when I purchase plants in future I need to treat them first and rinse before putting them into the take, otherwise the death of the snails produces some nasty side-effects in the water's balance.

Anyhow, after this set-back we now have a healthy tropical tank with 4 Guppies (1 male - 3 females), 4 Neons, 4 small Shrimp, and a Sieamse Fighter Fish. We have a self testing kit so that we can watch the quality of the water and have discovered that the best way to clean the tank is to do a small water change once a week and clean one section of the tank. Have to admit the opening at the top is small, so best have nimble hands, but everything appears ok.

I've a Fluval Edge tank.

Hi Gilead, just read your post regarding your edge. I bought one just over a week ago,I think it is fab.I bought it with the intention of keeping a Siamese fighter, as the manufacture stipulates this tank is suitable. However I had to move fish to my other tank as the mirror affect of the tank made him constantly want to fight with his own reflection.I have a pair of Plattis and 5 very small neons.I have filled tank to the top and ti looks fab.it has been 10 days now and so far so good.How is yuor tank doing now? Hope to hear from you soon Jim.

I cannot express my dislike of this tank enough. My main issues are price and design. It's blatantly been designed with looks as the main focus instead of functioning as a healthy home for fish.

The idea is that you fill this tank all the way to the glass "roof" for a seamless glass box of water with no visible waterline. But doing that means that the only surface area available to the fish is under that small hood at the back.

That small square of water is the only place oxygen can mix with the water for use in the tank. On an ordinary tank the whole of the surface area is open to oxygen . The edge does not have that because of the glass roof and thus provides really poor oxygen exchange for any fish, even anabantids ( who's labyrinth organ is a survival tool in the dry season as opposed to a day to day nesessity ).

The price is another thing. nearly £100 here for the smallest Edge. It's outrageous. You can get a complete second hand setup for less than half that if you look in the right places.

It's all show and no thought. It's a toy for executive desks and "modern" home designs . Fluval seriously don't seem to have taken the fish into account at all when designing this.

And advertising it as a coldwater setup for goldfish , espescially the small ones I'm seeing in most LFS near me, is just utterly horrifying and promotes the very wrong idea that goldfish can and should be kept in such smll tanks, when in fact the polar opposite is the case and you need 200L + per pair and an external filter to deal with the amount of waste produced.

It's a money spinner aimed at those who have never kept fish and want something pretty to look at.

This is just Hagens version of the reef one biorb.. nice to look at, but stupid in many senses, if anyone is looking at getting a tank this size, build one from scratch, you will be able to buy a bigger tank, have nicer lighting on it and make it more suitable for fishkeeping in general.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back