Fluval Edge Media > Eheim Biopower Media (How To Transfer)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Steph2790

Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

Well after 7 months with the 46L fluval edge I've decided it's time for a bigger and better tank,

Partly because my platy had babies (6 survived and I didn't even know she was pregnant) and part of the reason for changing to a different tank is just because the fluval edges IMO are hard to aqua scape through the tiny hole at the top, the lights don't seem the best especially for plant growth and I'm finding a water change is impossible to do by myself because of the design of this tank.

I've decided I want to upgrade to the juwel vision 180L. I've purchased an internal eheim biopower 240 filter for the new tank as ill be removing the juwel one that comes included.

My question is how would I go about switching filters between the two tanks? I was under the impression I could just run the eheim filter in my fluval edge (alongside current filter) for a month or so then just add the eheim filter and fish to the new tank. But I've been trying to read up on the bests way to transfer media and it seems all this would do is spilt the bacteria 50/50 between the two filters which would mean that when I added the eheim to my juwel vision the filter would only be cycled for half of the fish in my existing fluval edge. The filter media is also very different in the eheim to the fluval so I'm not sure if I am able to transfer all the media from the old filter to the new one and do it that way instead?

Here's my current filter and media running inside it in my fluval edge:
image.jpg
image.jpg
I have 1 sponge and 2 bags of biomax running instead of 1 sponge, 1 biomax bag and 1 carbon bag that comes supplied

This is the new filter for the 180L juwel vision I am upgrading to:
image.jpg

This filter comes with the two different sponges you can see in the pic and the has 3 compartments for eheim substrat pro which looks like this:
image.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas as to which way would be best to get the new eheim filter media cycled using the old fluval filter media?

Thanks in advance

Put the bags of biomax in the new filter where the substrat goes, and then fill in any space with the substrat, then replace one of the sponges with yours.

Do that when you're ready to move the fish and not before.

Try to think of the media as being paired with the fish, not the tank or filter. So, if you're moving all the fish, you need to move all the media with them. If you were just moving half the fish, half the media goes with them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back