Fluval 205 Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kayjay283

Reaction score
Hi,

I purchased a second hand tank yesterday which was in real need of rescuing as it has been neglected for over a year so as you can imagine was in a right mess but still the fish survived! The pump that came with it is a Fluval 205 external filter and after some deep cleaning to all the parts I put it back together and found neither hose was working. After checking both hoses were clear several times and the valves were open I started to give up. A short while after this I noticed that water was leaking out of the side of the pump which it hadn't previously. After some research on the forum I will try the Vaseline trick this evening to see if this helps but I am still at a loss as to why the hoses are not working can anyone help?

Sounds like it could be a 'O' ring or gasket thats leaking, you can get replacement seal kit for around £5 to £10 depends where you get them from.

That ould be the first thing I would try, of course putting aquarium safe grease or vasiline around the new ring first to bed and seal properly, might be worth having a new cheap toothbrush and using that to scrub the groove area where the seal/gasket goes to ensure theres no grit or even baby snails on there which obviously would not help with seating the seal properly.

This is a sort of ongoing thing with these older fluval externals as these seals can dry up and become next to useless if you're not careful.

Sounds like it could be a 'O' ring or gasket thats leaking, you can get replacement seal kit for around £5 to £10 depends where you get them from.

That ould be the first thing I would try, of course putting aquarium safe grease or vasiline around the new ring first to bed and seal properly, might be worth having a new cheap toothbrush and using that to scrub the groove area where the seal/gasket goes to ensure theres no grit or even baby snails on there which obviously would not help with seating the seal properly.

This is a sort of ongoing thing with these older fluval externals as these seals can dry up and become next to useless if you're not careful.
I did have an idea.
Went to a local pool store, and looked through there seals and I've found several--- they were squared and rectangular too. It fit, perfectly too.
The original seal is 160mm by 4mm and its round.

Most reactions

Back