Flukes - Treatment not working! Pls Help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

scutterx

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on the forum and hopefully my last cry for help!

I have an established live bearer tank 125L, that has been running absolutely fine until I purchased a couple of swordtails from my local pet shop, I am limited with space so don't have room for a quarantine aquarium.

All of my fish in the aquarium have been flashing like crazy since I introduced the swordtails, I assume they were infected with Flukes as the water parameters are perfect.

I went back to the pet shop who advised to try this - http://www.interpet.co.uk/Products/Test-Treat/Fish-Treatments/Anti-Slime-Velvet-Plus-100ml

The treatment has been in the tank for seven days as stated but the symptoms have not improved at all, it seems when I add the treatment the flashing increases (I am not sure if that is normal).

I have just carried out another water change and added the treatment again but I don't think that this will work.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I would also like to add that the aquarium is quite heavily planted.

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on the forum and hopefully my last cry for help!

I have an established live bearer tank 125L, that has been running absolutely fine until I purchased a couple of swordtails from my local pet shop, I am limited with space so don't have room for a quarantine aquarium.

All of my fish in the aquarium have been flashing like crazy since I introduced the swordtails, I assume they were infected with Flukes as the water parameters are perfect.

I went back to the pet shop who advised to try this - http://www.interpet.co.uk/Products/Test-Treat/Fish-Treatments/Anti-Slime-Velvet-Plus-100ml

The treatment has been in the tank for seven days as stated but the symptoms have not improved at all, it seems when I add the treatment the flashing increases (I am not sure if that is normal).

I have just carried out another water change and added the treatment again but I don't think that this will work.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I would also like to add that the aquarium is quite heavily planted.

Well, you have found out what can happen when you don't quarantine new arrivals. I wouldn't buy new fishes if I couldn't quarantine them. I hope that you didn't have to pay for the medicine. Dealers should not sell diseased fish. Also, it seems that you were given a medicine for "velvet," a completely different disease, caused by a protist similar to "white spot (or "ichthyophthyrius"), but smaller.
Flukes are Helminths, need to be treated by Anthelminic medicines.
Best thing to do is talk to a veterinary surgeon. Anthelminics are very toxic & you need to get the dose right

Are you sure that your fish have flukes? The only sure way to find out is to take a carefully scraped very small sample off the gill cover and look at it under a microscope

Hi, thank you for the reply. No the PH is the same and I’ve been looking out for signs of ich for over a week and the only thing I can see is slightly red gills and the flashing.

Some of the fish are darting around the tank this morning, but no white spots on their bodies.

Most reactions

Back