Tank size: 10 gallons
pH: 7.8
ammonia: 0ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
nitrate: 5ppm
kH:
gH:
tank temp: 80 but slowly climbing to 82 due to illness

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): Most, if not all, of my guppies are flashing against the sandy bottom of the tank.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 50% every week

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:
Aqua Safe and Easy Balance to prep/dechlorinate water.
Aquarium Salt- VERY small amount to help prevent illness/fix one fishes missing fin (almost completely healed now)
Rid-Fungus - 1 Male guppy has growth on side
Pimafix - same as rid fungus (Tried pimafix alone and no decrease in growth size tried rid-fungus alone and no decrease in size, day 4 of together and fungus is slightly smaller.)
Aquafish Tetracycline - also for male guppy recommended by lfs. Started this yesterday.
Anti-Parasite Medicated Fish Food- Just started this today. Have noticed stringy white wiggly poo.

Tank inhabitants:5 adult female guppies, 2 adult male guppies, 5 4month old baby guppies, and a fw flounder

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): None

Exposure to chemicals: a crap ton of medicine listed above

Any ideas as to why my fish are suddenly flashing? Am I treating them correctly for what they might have?

ps I have made the medicines listed above as links to what they are so you know exactly what I am using!

THANKS!

My Guppies do exactly the same thing. I have also noticed white poo.

There seem to me so many things that cause flashing I haven't been able to isolate one thing in particular.

I noticed one particular platy doing it against the slate, he also had red gills but my water was spot on, when I said to them at dobbies he recommended gill flukes treatment so that's what I used and never noticed it again.

Oh no i'm just saying mines had red gills so it was easier to treat but when you look online - there are lots of things it could be the most popular being unstable water, parasite/gill flukes or ich.

Hmmm Their gills are not red though :/

Do some research on trematodes. They don't always raise an inflammatory response from the gills, even though they could be ridden with them. Another thing, they move inside the fish and become internal parasites as well. White, stringy poop is a pretty good indicator of parasites.

afremont will the anti parasitic medicated fish food take care of that?

It should work on the internal parasites, but it will likely do nothing for any external bugs. API General Cure or Tetra Parasite Guard contain useful meds for internal and external parasites. You can google up info on doing salt dips to attack external parasites. There are other good anti-parasitic dips and baths that don't cause long term damage to the fish's organs such as methylene blue and hydrogen peroxide, but be very careful with using peroxide.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back