Fixing Juwel Light Bar.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Nice one Dorsey :good:
I think mine will need doing soon as its getting tempermental :angry:

From your sig I guess your near to me, would you be prepared to do mine? for a charge of course ;)

i wish that i would have read this a week ago .
my trigon 190 is on its second light unit in about 12 months and this one failed too.
i did not think to replace the ballast myself so i cut the ballast out in the same way as the pictures but i purchased an arcadia ultra seal double controller with the new waterproof end caps and fitted them to the holes where the origonal white end caps were.
the light controller is underneath the fishtank so there was no glueing or sealing to do.
jobs a good un Ā£25.00

the ballast bar i puchased cost me Ā£16 but i used more or less the same procedure for replacing it

Still a great saving and what's more hopefully the ballast will be better than the ones Juwel supply in their light bars

Dorsey, a fantastic article well done, I will use you notes to mod my blown unit & keep it as a spare. Heeding your disclaimers of course :nod:

I was given a used Juwel Vision 180 with suspected blown tubes. 2 new T8 tubes later turns out it was the lighting unit. Setting up the tank from new, I ordered a new one which I picked up yesterday.

My experience must backup your article and numerous other postings as today itā€™s back in the box waiting to be returned. It only works upside down and flashes once & dies if the correct way up.

I will be using you article to create a spare from my old one and will expect the working replacement to blow just after a year as seems to be the norm :-(

Air

Attachments

• T8_Return_v2.JPG
    T8_Return_v2.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 271
Glad some of you are getting some mileage out of this artical :good:

My own unit is still going strong dispite being almost completely waterlogged daily by condensation! :crazy:

Having been made redundant last week I should be collecting light bars and re-conditioning them :lol: mind you, would have to go some to pay the mortgage :look:

I canā€™t believe Iā€™ve only just found this!!
I had the same problem with my Juwel light bar as well. Fortunately it was still under warranty so i got a replacement.

Even though i donā€™t need to do this it has still inspired me to add some lights to the bar cos i now know how to get into it and how much room i have!! :D

Nice one Doresy

Just passing through this thread and thanks guys for the comments......

Oh, and "jetskidia" only just seen your request....Pm me if you still need help :good:

has anyone had similar issues with a fluval lighting rig? I've changed bulbs, starters, opened a hole in lid to increase ventiliation, but light problems are just getting worse. switch on fine one time, not the next, or then go out and wont come back on without taking lid off and hitting it!
Does it matter that 1 tube is 22w and one is 18w?
or is it a ballast problem?

not back til later on but thanks for any replies!
Liz

has anyone had similar issues with a fluval lighting rig? I've changed bulbs, starters, opened a hole in lid to increase ventiliation, but light problems are just getting worse. switch on fine one time, not the next, or then go out and wont come back on without taking lid off and hitting it!

Liz

Well it sounds like a loose connection and nothing else. Unlikely to be a faulty component. Check all the wires and make sure everything is intact. Make sure there is no corrosion amongst the contacts for the tubes and starter and any other connector blocks.
Saying that you should not really mix tube sizes as the tubes have different requirements which will result in an imbalance. Probably isn't enough difference in your case but bear that in mind when you come to change the tubes next time.

Liz

Well it sounds like a loose connection and nothing else. Unlikely to be a faulty component. Check all the wires and make sure everything is intact. Make sure there is no corrosion amongst the contacts for the tubes and starter and any other connector blocks.
Saying that you should not really mix tube sizes as the tubes have different requirements which will result in an imbalance. Probably isn't enough difference in your case but bear that in mind when you come to change the tubes next time.

thanks keenonfish, i will have a go at prizing the sealed top off to check wires etc. will also remember to buy the same wattage bulbs next time!

I canā€™t believe Iā€™ve only just found this!!
I had the same problem with my Juwel light bar as well. Fortunately it was still under warranty so i got a replacement.

Even though i donā€™t need to do this it has still inspired me to add some lights to the bar cos i now know how to get into it and how much room i have!! :D

Nice one Doresy

did you get round to adding more tubes? how would you fix them. I've thought about making a new lid and having 4 of the t5 tubes myself, would be interesrted to hear yuor ideas MUZZA

Sounds to me with all these faults that the product is not of "merchantable quality" if my 260V goes within say three years I think I will be having words.

A Guarantee is statory but in the eyes of the law it still has to perform the task for a reasonable time frame - "small claims court" in the UK costs around Ā£30 and if you are being reasonable about your dissapointment you will usually win - however if you stated this to Jewel they would probably replace it anyway.

Just don't mention who told you.

Paul. -_-

Worth a try.

Just followed your instructions on my knackered light bar on my trigon, and I now have light.

Top work mate

Just wondered if any of you guys no where to purchase end caps for t8 juwel lighting unit as mine has burnt out.
What a great site this is and what a great topic. Thought Juwel would have sorted this now and stopped trying to rip people off. Thanks in advance

Strike that, was the light unit for T8 bulbs and I need T5 one :(

Having it out with Jewel, if it doesn't happen - will be trying the ballast.. last resort will be paying that Ā£60 for a new light unit :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back