fishless cycling - very high ammonia levels

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

stegoodall

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi
I started to fishless cycle my 30 gallon tank yesterday, i added 20mls of ammonia (jeyes kleen off) to get the level to around 5 ppm (it was between 4 and 8-thats whats on the test colour card). Sorry it isn't more accurate. I again added 20mls of ammonia today, when i checked the level later it looks to be over 8ppm.
What should i do now? Should i add less ammonia tomorrow or carry on adding this amount?
Thanks in advance
Stephen

thanks for the quick reply
i will try and do a water change tonight and stop adding ammonia. If i dont get any nitrites and the ammonia level is at 0ppm shall i add more then?
stephen

p.s. do you know if "stress-zyme" is safe to use as dechlorinator with ammonia? or will it remove it?

I believe these results are accurate. The jump to 8 would be explained from them adding ammonia the second time around.

I have no experience with stress-zyme. On the bottle, does it say it acts as a dechlorinator? If so, then you should be good. If not, you will need another dechlorinator. I don't want to recomend a brand because you are in the UK, and I'm in the US.

thanks for your reply Wilder. Those links are very helpful.
I am just about to change some water but i cant manage a 50% change as i have no help at the moment. I'll change the water then check ammonia levels tomorrow.

tttnjfttt

from the stress zyme manufacturers website:
Stress Zyme®

Purpose and Benefits:

Stress Zyme is a biological filter additive containing live bacteria that improves the development of the biological filter and helps clean a dirty aquarium. The build-up of organic pollution in the aquarium inhibits the growth of nitrifying bacteria. The bacteria in Stress-Zyme keep conditions in the aquarium right for the development of the biological filter by consuming harmful organic pollutants. This speeds the development of the biological filter in newly set up aquariums. A build-up of organic compounds also promotes the growth of disease-causing organisms in the aquarium. Stress Zyme keeps the biological filter working properly by keeping the aquarium gravel and filter clean. Water quality and living conditions are improved when Stress Zyme is used on a regular basis.

Each teaspoonful of Stress Zyme contains 300 million bacteria. These bacteria are in a dormant state and become active when added to the aquarium. Stress Zyme has a five year shelf life and does not require refrigeration. Stress Zyme is effective in freshwater and marine aquariums.

Directions for Use:

New Aquariums:
Shake well before using

On the 1st, 7th, and 14th days add 2 teaspoonfuls (10 ml) for every 10 US gallons (40 L) of aquarium water. Thereafter, each week add 1 teaspoonful (5 ml) for every 10 gallons (40 L) of aquarium water.

Existing Aquariums:
To maintain good water quality and healthy biological filtration, add 1 teaspoonful (5 ml) for every 10 U.S. gallons (40L) of aquarium water weekly.

Hmmmm on closer inspection of the label i think you need another product to dechlorinate the water. Any ideas on what i should do?

Odds are, the stress-zyme won't work. I have never heard of anyone having any luck with anything other than bio-spira, which is kept refrigerated and also has an expiration date on it. It doesn't make sense thta bacteria can survive indefinately without a food supply, or tollerate high temperatures of shipping. Refrigeration keeps the bacteria from multiplying and using all the food supply, as well as from dieing from extreme heat.

You will also need a dechlorinator that specifically says it removes chlorine. Chlorine is toxic to fish, and will also kill off the beneficial bacteria in your tank.

Your last post really confused me. Are you saying filter the water with activated carbon before adding it to the tank? Or is this your filter that you are trying to build up the beneficial bacteria in. If so, make sure you have a specific place for the bacteria to grow. While they will grow on the carbon, changing your carbon will remove all the bacteria and send you back into a mini-cycle.

tttnjfttt said:
Your last post really confused me. Are you saying filter the water with activated carbon before adding it to the tank? Or is this your filter that you are trying to build up the beneficial bacteria in. If so, make sure you have a specific place for the bacteria to grow. While they will grow on the carbon, changing your carbon will remove all the bacteria and send you back into a mini-cycle.
[snapback]860864[/snapback]​

I was trying to say filter the tap water with this filter (from another tank) then add it to my 30G tank (which has an external filter which i am trying to cycle). When the water is filtered i would put the small filter back in the other tank. I would leave the sponge media in the small tank though so its bacteria doesnt die.

ie.

tap water in bucket ----> small filter with carbon --------> Large tank

i am hoping the carbon will dechlorinate it and i will try to get some proper dechlorinator tomorrow

sorry for my bad explanations

Nope, still gotta use the dechlorinator unless you leave the water out for 48 hours before using it. If you go the wait 48 hours, you need to make sure you don't have chloramine in your water, as that won't leave the water. Activated carbon will not remove chlorine or chloramine.

Since you have an already cycled tank, why not take a tiny piece of that spounge, or some gravel from that tank, and add it to the one you are trying to cycle? It will really speed up the cycling process.

tttnjfttt said:
Nope, still gotta use the dechlorinator unless you leave the water out for 48 hours before using it. If you go the wait 48 hours, you need to make sure you don't have chloramine in your water, as that won't leave the water. Activated carbon will not remove chlorine or chloramine.

Since you have an already cycled tank, why not take a tiny piece of that spounge, or some gravel from that tank, and add it to the one you are trying to cycle? It will really speed up the cycling process.
[snapback]860885[/snapback]​

I'll leave the water level slightly lower tonight as i have already removed some and i will try to get some dechlorinator asap.

I have squeezed the sponge in the tank and added some gravel from this tank and my dads. I think my dads gravel is better because he has an UGF but theres just a big oscar and an upside down catfish so i dont know if that affects how much bacteria is present. Anyway, i put these 2 samples of gravels in some tights and have hung them next to the filter intake. Is that OK?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back