Fishless Cycle

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LadySamsara

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I started a fishless cycle on a 10 gallon tank about a month ago.  I was following the instructions and adding the ammonia to keep it at about .5ppm.  Unfortunately, my Father, who is very ill, wound up in the hospital and for about 5 days ( last week) I didn't add any ammonia or follow the readings.  Presently, the ammonia is still .5ppm, and I have no idea if it spiked while I was not following it, because it looks like I have about double of the zero reading of nitrites.  Nowhere near pink, nore like a light brown.  

I am not sure where to go from here.  Should I start over?  Should I check the nitrites every couple days and if it doesn't get any higher then start over?  How long should I give the nitrites to appear?  I am lost here.  I want to set my tank up so badly and I am irritated with myself that I dropped the ball, even if it was because of an important reason.

Thank you for any and all assistance.

:hi: to the forum.

What test kit are you using?

Why are you adding only 0.5ppm of ammonia? The guide on here calls for 3ppm.

I am using Quick Dip Ammonia and Jungle 5-N-1 Test Strips.

The reading now is .5ppm...I was keeping it at about 5, because the website I got the directions from said to keep the ammonia at 5.0 ppm.  Are you saying it should be kept at 3.0 ppm when adding the ammonia?  Do you know where I would find the guise that you refer to?  This website (recommended by a friend) is a little confusing.

Thank you for your response - Any help would be appreciated.
DD

Greetings The current Mrs Treguard,

Thank you for directing me to the website I need.  As a moderator, I know that you have lots of experience in fishkeeping.  Do you think I should check nitrites a few more days or start over?

Thank you again for your help!
D

Most reactions

trending

Back