Fishless Cycle

JonesyJ666

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
im just doing a fishless cycle. Just checked the water and its got the same readings as y smaller tank and its only been cycling for 2 days. is it ok to put the fish in?

Have you used mature media, Jonesy? And what PPM of ammonia did you add?

only thing i have added is some biological supplment that i got from my LFS. the fx6 i bought is also brand new, just wondering is cycling has to be for a set time or is it until the read outs come down?

You can't cycle without a source of ammonia.

There's no set amount of time; there are so may factors involved, each system will take it's own time to build up the required amount of bacteria.

But if you haven't added any ammonia, and tested it to see what the level is, then you have no idea whether your cycle is progressing or not.

To start a cycle requires the presence of ammonia. In a fishless cycle you add the ammonia while in a fish in the fish produce the ammonia. At the top of this page is a series of links, click on the one that says Cycling A Tank.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, get u, hummmmmm best add the fish then huh lol

whats the best ammonia to get then? never done with with my other tank and everything was fine?

Whereabouts in the world are you, Jonesy?

Ok, I'm currently using - 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Concentrated-Aquarium-Ammonia-for-Fishless-Cycling-Fish-Tank-Use-High-Strength-/181130184497?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item2a2c334731

Be very careful when calculating dose for this as it is high strength at 35%, most people say to get 9.5% pure ammonia from hardware stores but I did not trust that so bought this specially for aquariums. Don't know at the moment if this is any good or not as am currently doing a fishless cycle as well.

Use the calculator thats on top of page under 'More' to help.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back