Fishless Cycle, Too Much Nitrite?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

justbinB

Reaction score
My nitrite spike started 3 days ago, and my nitrate level is starting to climb, so I'm headed in the right direction. After the nitrite spiked, I have been raising the ammonia to 2ppm every morning, and it's down to 0 the next day.

I heard that too much ammonia in the beginning of a cycle can kill nitrifying bacteria, can nitrite in high levels do the same thing? I am wondering because the nitrite has been above my 5ppm test kit limit for 2 days. If the nitrite gets way up there, say 15ppm, will it cause any harm to the bacteria?

Thank you

I know of no evidence on nitrites one way or the other JustBin. It sometimes seems that people who become disgusted with high nitrites and do a giant water change do quite well with their cycle, but what we don't know is if it just makes it easier to monitor the water quality or maybe, there is a chance, the reduced nitrites mean better growth of the nitrite processing bacteria. Let me know if you get a definitive answer to this one because I sure haven't seen one.

In the cycling guides on here, they mention the result you get with the API liquid kit for nitrites which means they are off the scale. But it is still advised not to do any water changes, so I presume the high levels don't affect the bacteria. One thing though, you are supposed to get your ammonia up to 5ppm, rather than 2. Any reason for that?

Most reactions

trending

Back