FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

dascrow

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
totm-nov16.jpg

We would like to congratulate Fishmanic as the FishForums.net November 2016 Tank of the month!

Here's a quick video and additional information on the tank.

"Here is my planted 29 gallon aquarium. My stocking is as follows: 6 tiger barbs, 2 neon tetra (survivors of a larger school), 2 rummynose tetra (survivors of a larger school), 2 julii cory, 1 nanus cory, 1 bolivian ram, 1 bushynose pleco.

Tank has a black background. It is a Marineland aquarium with included fitted hood and led lighting.

There are 2 homemade caves comprised of flagstone and rocks siliconed together.

Water is tap water and is approximately 175 ppm hardness. PH generally is in the range of 7.0- 7.4. Filter is a penquin 200 HOB filter. In the filter I use my own media comprised of a thick sponge and a layer of Big Al's filter floss. The biowheel helps support beneficial bacteria. As a secondary filter, I use a Hydro Pro III reticulated foam sponge filter on the opposite side of the tank from the penguin filter. I use a 200 watt Aqueon heater in the tank and have had good luck with this brand. Temperature is kept at 76 degrees F.

Water changes are done weekly, changing out 50% of the water using a python water changer. The python also removes any detrius/debris on the substrate which consists of white pool filter sand. Filter cleaning is done every two weeks at which time I change out the floss and just rinse the sponge in tank water. I do a total filter housing cleaning about every 6 weeks to get the gunk out of the impeller and off the housing.

I feed twice a day using mainly cobalt brand flake food. I feed the bn pleco an algae wafer about every 2 days. I occasionally give a treat of freeze dried shrimp soaked in tank water and occasionally drop in some shrimp pellets. I also occasionally drop in some freeze dried blood worms or freeze dried daphnia, both soaked in tank water before adding to tank."

Thank you Dan and also those who voted for my tank. Nick's tank was also very worthy. I envy the lush plant growth in his tank. Well done Nick.

I don't run expensive lights on my tank..just the basic led light that came with the Marineland kit so am limited as to what I can grow in the tank. But I think the fish prefer the lower light levels. I use very little fertilizers and the anubias grows pretty well.

I'm glad to have discovered this fine fish club 3 years ago as the advice of many experienced members here helped me choose my fish stocking and guided me in starting my tanks and helping keep my fish healthy and content. In return, I try to help newer members with the knowledge I gained from being a member of this club.

Congratulations! :) cool that your the first TOTM winner in such a long time!

Last edited by a moderator:
thrujenseyes:
nice tank in your sig...you should enter TOTM next month

thanks everyone....hope you all consider entering in future months to keep this contest going

hope Dan brings back the FOTM too....I'd like to enter one of my fish in the contest

and hopefully they bring back Pet of the Month too :)

.hope you all consider entering in future months to keep this contest going

I so agree, Show us your tanks, even the moderators should enter, and even if you do not enter you can still participate by voting for your favorite tank.

hope Dan brings back the FOTM too.

Betta keepers, We can win this hands down, Bettas are like puppies and kittens cute and playfull, Who can say no to that.

I just got a lazer pointer and I shine it in my Crowntails tank and he flares and chases the dot around, Must get that on video and upload it to youtube, Its quite funny.

nice tank in your sig...you should enter TOTM next month

Well thank you very much. It's different than the picture now as I've added a huge gnarly piece of spider wood (that had to be cut in half to fit thru the ridiculously small opening). And unfortunately the cool foreground plant has petered out, but has been replaced by dwarf hair grass.

I actually think it looks amazing (if I don't say so myself).
I was thinking of entering but am a little afraid I'll get scolded as I have two otocinclus and I know they need to be in a larger school (and have more room) but I was talked into purchasing them when I had a small bloom from adding the spider wood. And boy did they do the job!
And I do work very hard to make sure they get properly fed, which isn't easy when you have endlers (which will eat until they explode) and a very hungry/greedy amano shrimp.
I cook veggies for them and feed in their favorite hangout by the top of the tank. I make sure they have full bellies as I know they're tough fish to keep alive.

I watched your video repeatedly ...it's really something to be proud of!

Congrats. Very worthy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back