Fish With Personality.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TimNorwich

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Simple question :) What community fish do you guys feel have a really big personality?

What size tank do you have, and what fish do you already have? This will enable us to suggest fish that are compatible with your current stocking :good:

It's a Juwel Rio 125, my Angelfish and Kribensis are going to a new home tonight, so I will have a free tank.

EDIT: Juwel Rio 125L = 33G = 2" fish per gallon = 66inches of fish.

4 X 5" Ancistrus =20"
5 X 2" Sunset Platy =10"
1 X 3" F.D. Gourami =3"
7 X 2" Cardinal Tetra =14"

Total thus far = 37"

They are some of the fish I'd like.

Bearing in mind although you havnt reached your toal inch length (which is only rough) i would never fill a tank to MAX it as your just asking for trouble. Stick a good few inches under to be on the safe side. One thing to note with that initial stocking list, 4 plecs? They will eriously foul up your water conditions. I had a 7" BNP is my 180L, i just sold him because of the poop he made. Unbelievable how much a single plec produces. So take that into concideration before you make a choice. Last thing you want is high ammonia and nitrate for algae to feast upon aye.

As for fish with personality i find the dwarf gourami's very cute. The way they swim up to things and appear to stroke them to see what they are. You have khuli loach which albeit they hide a fair bit when kept in a group of 5/6 they are really fascinating fish to watch. Chain loach are very quirky little characters. They are a laoch and require to be kept in a group of atleast 5, but they're nuts. They dart around the tank like a hamster in a wheel. Great lil fellas. They do tend to chase other fish a little bit though if they arent kept in a group, they used to pester my flying fox's and chase my tetras around the tank. Panchax are a nice alternative, although not sure about their "character" as such, if you keep these 1 male to 2 female is a good ratio, and they adise not to have more than 3 in a 24inch tank.

If you want an alternative centre piece fish, have you concidered the Golden Dwarf Acara? Beautifull fish :)

I know its very rough measurement of fish ", just something to go by.

I can't say I've ever seen a Gold Dwarf Acara.

I could get rid of 3 BN's which would leave a male and female in there.

Thanks,

Tim.

I had 2 BNP in my 180L and they squabbled in that, one was 7" the other was about 3" and they bickered from time to time. I can't even imagine what 4, maybe 5 BNP would do to each other in a 125 :lol:

Golden Dwarf Acara
I do not own the rights to this image

Corydoras seem to be very addictive for people. I can't say i see the attraction personally, but whoever has them falls in love with them it seems.

Also a group of female betta's seems to be very nice. With each fish seemingly to have its own personality and traits. Ask BethK on here, one of her threads has convinced me that i'd like to try female betta's at some point :)

To answer the original question I would always say cichlids have the most personality. They tend to be much more interactive with their owners than other fish. I've just gone and got myself a pair of hongsloi apistos. I have two boys atm (going back to swap one for a girl), and although I wouldn't recommend them in a 125 as they're quite small I would suggest looking into apistos and other dwarf cichlids.

a female betta sorority is full of personality, believe me :lol: if you choose the girls carefully, you'll be laughing. At the moment my smallest/youngest 4 girls are suffering from 'small fish syndrome' and they are flaring at everything :lol: they will come to greet you as a group, which i find very sweet.

apistos (form of dwarf cichlid), are amusing, i'm waiting for my 3 to be delivered tomorrow, i can comment more on that aspect then :good:

if you were to get a betta sorority, i would steer clear from getting gouramis too, they don't mix.

how about a rubber eel, they are funny little crestures

Apisto's completely slipped my mind. A few of my favourite;

A. hongsloi
A. rotpunkt
A. commbrae
A. cacatuoides
A trifasciata
A. agassizii
A. diplotaenia (personal fav)

They truely are fantastic fish. Most are easy to breed aswell, also they're size makes them perfect for smaller tanks too :) In most cases.

Hmm, would say 3 or 4 female Betta fish be okay in a community? I've bought a couple of female Betta fish in the past, and they didn't last very long for some reason, even when all my other fish were happy as larry.

Would it be Dwarf Gourami or F Bettas, one or the other?

It would be one or the other. Personally after reading through BethK's thread i really love the sound of female betta's, and having already had a few dwarf gourami's i would opt for female betta's, but thats what i'd do.

I got my first Betta yesterday and he has so much personality already! He's in a 5l tank on his own and I put a black background on the tank a minute ago and for a while he just stayed there looking at it, occasionally looking at me with a kind of :blink: expression like 'what the heck is this?'

ETA: Now he's flaring at it :lol:

As for fish with personality i find the dwarf gourami's very cute. The way they swim up to things and appear to stroke them to see what they are

LOL that's what I always say I love about my Honeys, how funny is it? Mine do it to my hand when I'm cleaning. I have to be really careful not to bash them.

Yup betta fish have LOADS of personality.

I was talking about this yesterday actually. My girls (sorority) have sooo much more personality than my male. However I was wondering would a single female be the same or would she be like my male...Either way my girls are very active and very nosey. One keeps swimming up the gravel vac as well which is annoying.

You have to be careful when picking them as was said earlier. I must have looked like a fish pervert as I've been going in to the same shop and watching the same female for weeks lol. You need to pick ones that don't seem bossy. They had a gorgeous one that I'd have loved to own but she was very bossy in the tank and it's not good for a sorority. All of my girls are pretty laid back; even at feeding times.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back