Fish Tank On Windowsill

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

dipsydoodlenoodle

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
IF I were to put a small fish tank on my windowsill would there be any problems with that? I.e. would the temperature fluctuate too much; it would be a tropical tank with heater.

The reason I ask is I have a fish that is probably going to have to stay with my boyfriend temporarily however if I could put him in the smaller tank temporarily then I could keep him at mine.

We are buying a house so it is only a short term thing until we can move him to his bigger tank.

What problems if any would I come across in putting the tank on the windowsill, except the possibility of algae growth?

Don't do it.

The glass of a fish tank can magnify the sun's rays and heat the water - dangerous.

The sun will cause a lot of algae - bad.

You'll probably find the fish wouldn't last long :(.

Well; I kept a tank on a windowsill a few years ago, so it's certainly doable. You'll just need to make sure the tank doesn't overheat (or become chilled for that matter!)

I'd suggest you lag the back and sides of the tank with bubble wrap (closest to the tank) and then foil or something reflective outside that to stop the worst of the sun getting to it.

Don't do it.

The glass of a fish tank can magnify the sun's rays and heat the water - dangerous.

The sun will cause a lot of algae - bad.

You'll probably find the fish wouldn't last long :(.

I kept fish for a couple of years on a windowsill with the tank insulated as I've described above...it never got more than an hour or two direct sunlight though.

It's funny because I was only reading an aquarium book that made not of placing tanks in direct sunlight today.

Let us know how you go anyways dipsydoodlenoodle :)

i've got a tank on a windowsill. Mkae sure there is something covering the back (not the sides) and it will be fine. My fish have lasted 2 years so far on a windowsill and are continuing to thrive in there healthy and natural environment. theres no problem with it. :good:

Regarding my first post, I'm guessing it depends where you live. I understand a lot of you are in the UK and wouldn't get extreme weather like we do here in Australia.
When you get a day that's 48 degrees celcious in the summer you certainly wouldn't want that kind of sunlight pounding down on your fishies scales! :p

Since when was living on someones windowsill a natural environment? :D

It's funny because I was only reading an aquarium book that made not of placing tanks in direct sunlight today.

Yes, they all say that! It's not ideal, and it does take a little bit of thought and careful monitoring. You certainly want to make sure that the tank doesn't get direct sunlight on it for too long as it certainly can over heat a tank; especially ones the size that will fit on a windowsill (well, I'm assuming that dipsydoodle's windowsills aren't big enough to put a four footer on anyway :lol: )

When you get a day that's 48 degrees celcious in the summer

:crazy:
Blimey...yeah, I wouldn't put a tank on a windowsill in those conditions either!!!

You are right that normally, the answer is a straight "no".

But, I have kept a tanks on northish facing windowsills (in UK, no natural sunlight, radiator under windowsill always off) with success for years at a time. I am sure that what fluttermoth suggests would work well for windowsills which get 1-2 hours of sunlight per day in the summer.

Just because something is do-able doesn't really mean it is best for your fish.

Have you ever stood beside a window with the sun light beaming on you and it was really warm? Add an extra piece of glass, the tank and that's extra heat. A thin plastic background isn't really going to do much either.

I personally wouldn't bother, more hassle than its worth.

As for the do-able thing, I've seen some bad mistreated fish in peoples tank and some are still alive to this day. Plecs in 2ft tanks ect, that's do-able but its not the best thing for you fish.

I have a tank near a window and the algae growth is immense. A week with no maintenance and the glass is thick with algae. A simple pass with the glass magnet soon sorts it out but the decorations in the tank are absolutely green/brown with it. It is housing my Kribensis parents and fry so i cant really take it all out and clean them then put them back in for fear of upsetting the parents which could lead to them eating the fry. It is do-able but isn't ideal, but if there really is no other option then i guess it would be ok.

Good luck with it whatever you decide. :)

Thanks everyone. So many replies so quickly as well.

The windowsil is a north-east facing one (UK) and the corner I was “half” thinking of putting the tank doesn’t get much sun at all; but reading all of your replies I do think it’s probably best not to do. I did think that before hence I thought I’d ask “just in case”.

I do have a tank “next” to the windowsil (around the corner) and it doesn’t get direct light but it DOES get a lot of algae in one corner.

It certainly posed a good discussion question anyway.

That's what the forum is here for!
Glad to know you're not going ahead with it. Always good to get some fee advice! I do hope you find another spot to put it though.

you can get around the problem.

I kept a planted tank with honey gouramis and peppered cories on a mindowsil for years, i just covered the back/sides with cork board, and had water lettuce on top to diffuse the light a little.

Never had a problem :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back