Fish Stocking

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Of the three parameters, GH, KH and pH, the most crucial for fish is GH. This is the level of dissolved calcium and magnesium in the water, the minerals that determine "hardness" of water. KH does affect fish, but in my experience this is less of an issue. The pH also affects fish, but this is secondary to GH provided the pH is not extreme, or fluctuating.

The terms we use are subjective, but his chart is one I worked out from several sources a few years back:

0 - 4 dGH [0 - 70 ppm] very soft
4 - 8 dGH [70 - 140 ppm] soft
8 - 12 dGH [140 - 210 ppm] medium hard
12 - 18 dGH [210 - 320 ppm] fairly hard
18 - 30 dGH [320 - 530 ppm] hard
over 30 dGH [over 530 ppm] very hard

With the possible exception of the Rummynose, the fish mentioned in post #7 should be fine, according to data on Seriously Fish. I cannot explain the difference between your GH and KH numbers, but other members have mentioned similar and I believe it is not necessarily inaccurate nor impossible (something I learned). You should be able to confirm them with your municipal water supplier. KH is sometimes termed Alkalinity; if it really is this high, the pH of the source water will not lower, but 7.4 is not unworkable.

I disagree here with you Byron. First the scale you are using is made for washing machines etc. But for fish a GH of 8 is not considered soft anymore. Also I don't think one can ignore KH like that. If KH - like normally were smaller than GH the water would be ok for the fish mentioned, but for sure not the optimum.

@Jordan_Deus
Yes the high KH will stabilize your pH, but also push it up. You should find out why your KH is so high compared to your GH. Usually this is a sign of a water softener in use, the resulting water is normally not suitable for fish keeping. One problem being high sodium concentrations.

I disagree here with you Byron. First the scale you are using is made for washing machines etc. But for fish a GH of 8 is not considered soft anymore. Also I don't think one can ignore KH like that. If KH - like normally were smaller than GH the water would be ok for the fish mentioned, but for sure not the optimum.

@Jordan_Deus
Yes the high KH will stabilize your pH, but also push it up. You should find out why your KH is so high compared to your GH. Usually this is a sign of a water softener in use, the resulting water is normally not suitable for fish keeping. One problem being high sodium concentrations.

I think I had someone in a previous post mention water softeners, after they did so I went to my municipal water suppliers website and according to that website there are no water softeners present (Couldn't find GH KH AND PH on their website). My best explanation for the high KH and lower GH is that my area has a lot of Calcium in the water. If there is lesser amounts of magnesium than it would make sense that the GH (which I understand is a calculation of both) would be lower than the KH.

I think I had someone in a previous post mention water softeners, after they did so I went to my municipal water suppliers website and according to that website there are no water softeners present (Couldn't find GH KH AND PH on their website). My best explanation for the high KH and lower GH is that my area has a lot of Calcium in the water. If there is lesser amounts of magnesium than it would make sense that the GH (which I understand is a calculation of both) would be lower than the KH.

I would contact the water authority directly for the GH, KH and pH so you/we know the previous numbers are accurate (or not, depending).

For the water softener you have to ask the owner of your house. The water authority should have nothing to do with it.

My family owns this house, we were here throughout the entire construction process and I can tell you with 100% certainty that there are no water softeners in it.

It's 9 pm where I live so my local water authority probably won't answer the phone. I'll call tomorrow and ask for the water parameters.

Would just like to mention I haven't forgotten about calling my local water authority, I've had a hectic week and they don't work Friday and Saturday where I live. First thing next week I'll call them and ask what my water parameters are. Sorry for the delay and thank you for your help so far.

No worries. Your tank your pace. We will get a notification as soon as you post again ;)

OK finallysstraightened out those water parameters....
GH:8 d
KH:10-12 d
My test strips aren't fantastic sadly....

Assuming these water parameters are OK I'd like to hear your opinions on a revised stocking list.
Just reminding you all that the tank will have 200 litres of water once all the hardscape is in.

10 Ghost Shrimp
30 black phantom tetras
12 Marble Hatchet
16 Panda Corys
2 Bristlenose pleco

I decided to pass on the ember tetras as I think they won't have too much of an effect on the tank. Is there room maybe for a small school of pencil fish?
Thanks again and sorry for the epic delay.

OK finallysstraightened out those water parameters....
GH:8 d
KH:10-12 d
My test strips aren't fantastic sadly....

Assuming these water parameters are OK I'd like to hear your opinions on a revised stocking list.
Just reminding you all that the tank will have 200 litres of water once all the hardscape is in.

10 Ghost Shrimp
30 black phantom tetras
12 Marble Hatchet
16 Panda Corys
2 Bristlenose pleco

I decided to pass on the ember tetras as I think they won't have too much of an effect on the tank. Is there room maybe for a small school of pencil fish?
Thanks again and sorry for the epic delay.

Nothing jumps out at me from this list. Pencilfish would be fine too, just make sure of the species. Both Nannostomus beckfordi (this is the most commonly-seen species as it is now being commercially raised) and N. trifasciatus will nip hatchetfish, something I have never had occur with species like N. eques, N. marginatus or N. mortenthaleri, and any one of these latter would be nice--in a group of 15+. You could reduce the Black Phantoms to 20?

In reply to Byron's post, are there tetras larger than ember tetras that swim at the same level as the embers? If I have 12 Hatchets, 10 black phantoms, 15-20 ember tetras, 10rummynose tetras, 14 Panda Corys and 3 bristlenose plecos, wont adding any more schooling fish species overstock this tank?
No, your tank is quite large and (apart from the Bristlenose) all those fish add a very small bio-load. Too many beginners spend too much time worrying about whether or not their tanks are over stocked instead of enjoying their tanks.

No, your tank is quite large and (apart from the Bristlenose) all those fish add a very small bio-load. Too many beginners spend too much time worrying about whether or not their tanks are over stocked instead of enjoying their tanks.

As a beginner I attest to that being true lol.

Nothing jumps out at me from this list. Pencilfish would be fine too, just make sure of the species. Both Nannostomus beckfordi (this is the most commonly-seen species as it is now being commercially raised) and N. trifasciatus will nip hatchetfish, something I have never had occur with species like N. eques, N. marginatus or N. mortenthaleri, and any one of these latter would be nice--in a group of 15+. You could reduce the Black Phantoms to 20?

Yes I think reducing the phantoms to 20 and adding 15 of the N. marginatu would be nice.

Thanks for all the help.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back