Fish stocking question

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Meemaw

Reaction score
First let me say thank you in advance for your help...I am getting ready to set up a 60 gallon tank. I currently have a 10 gallon with 5 different species of tetras currently all in groups of 3 Hence my question. I plan on having all of them in groups of 6. How do I go about moving them into the new tank? Do I move one species of 3 from my old tank and purchase 3 of the same and add them and continue to do it that way until stocked or move all the current fish into the new tank then start purchasing other fish. I ask because I have read several post saying that less than 6 could stress the fish out. I am planning on adding 6 albino Cory and 6 peppered Cory also but do not have any of these yet. Currently the fish seem ok but not sure when I start adding more??

You are correct that shoaling fish need groups [more on this below]. This increasing the size of the group is not quite as dangerous with most tetras as it can be with certain other fish species. But even so, I would suggest you add the new fish to the 60g when you move in that species from the 10g. So, in effect, you are introducing the existing fish to a new environment and new companions at the same time. Both will settle in faster the more there are of the species.

Which brings me to numbers...six is an arbitrary number that is a bit misleading. Shoaling fish live in groups of hundreds, sometimes thousands. The more there are, the better (healthier) they will be. You have space in the 60g for more than six, probably, though I do not know which species. I might be able to pin this down more if you indicate the species.

Cories absolutely do better with more, so I would add all 12 if you can, both species, together.

You are correct that shoaling fish need groups [more on this below]. This increasing the size of the group is not quite as dangerous with most tetras as it can be with certain other fish species. But even so, I would suggest you add the new fish to the 60g when you move in that species from the 10g. So, in effect, you are introducing the existing fish to a new environment and new companions at the same time. Both will settle in faster the more there are of the species.

Which brings me to numbers...six is an arbitrary number that is a bit misleading. Shoaling fish live in groups of hundreds, sometimes thousands. The more there are, the better (healthier) they will be. You have space in the 60g for more than six, probably, though I do not know which species. I might be able to pin this down more if you indicate the species.

Cories absolutely do better with more, so I would add all 12 if you can, both species, together.
Thank you for your help,
These are the current fish I have
Bloodfin, glowlight, red minor, red eye, zebra danio ( was told they were tetra but read this was incorrect)?

Yes, Zebra Danio is a species of danio and thus a cyprinid (tetras are characins). I wold get 7-9; they are active swimmers, but that shouldn't be a problem here (it would with sedate fish present).

Red Eye Tetra presumably is Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae, another active swimmer. May nip fins but this can usually be alleviated with larger groups, 8+. Here, bearing in mind other fish mentioned, I would say 8-9.

Red Minor, presumably Hyphessobrycon eques, also known as Serpae Tetra (common names are often confusing), a notorious fin nipper. A group of 10+ may alleviate this or at least confine it within the group (the white edge to the caudal fin on this fish is due to nipping, sometimes mistakenly thought to be fin rot).

The Bloodfin, Aphyocharax anisitsi, is also prone to fin nip, but again larger groups sometimes prevent this. At least nine.

Glowlight, Hemigrammus erythrozonus, is very peaceful. Seven or more, probably more here because the other active boisterous and nippy fish may unsettle this quiet tetra and the more the safer they will feel.

The cories I already commented on. That will completely fill this tank. Floating plants will help a lot, both to shade the light (these forest fish do not appreciate overhead bright light) and help with water stability.

Yes, Zebra Danio is a species of danio and thus a cyprinid (tetras are characins). I wold get 7-9; they are active swimmers, but that shouldn't be a problem here (it would with sedate fish present).

Red Eye Tetra presumably is Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae, another active swimmer. May nip fins but this can usually be alleviated with larger groups, 8+. Here, bearing in mind other fish mentioned, I would say 8-9.

Red Minor, presumably Hyphessobrycon eques, also known as Serpae Tetra (common names are often confusing), a notorious fin nipper. A group of 10+ may alleviate this or at least confine it within the group (the white edge to the caudal fin on this fish is due to nipping, sometimes mistakenly thought to be fin rot).

The Bloodfin, Aphyocharax anisitsi, is also prone to fin nip, but again larger groups sometimes prevent this. At least nine.

Glowlight, Hemigrammus erythrozonus, is very peaceful. Seven or more, probably more here because the other active boisterous and nippy fish may unsettle this quiet tetra and the more the safer they will feel.

The cories I already commented on. That will completely fill this tank. Floating plants will help a lot, both to shade the light (these forest fish do not appreciate overhead bright light) and help with water stability.
Oh my thank you so much...this was my last step so now I can start getting the tank ready. Thank you about the plants cause I’m sure my current fish hate me since they have no cover. I posted about plants in another thread for plant question. You have helped me greatly and I appreciate it more than you know. My grandkids will be so excited!!!! And so am I

Most reactions

trending

Back