Fish Room ( Shed )

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Well, I canned that pump idea and instead plumbed for an EHEIM Compact + 5000. Got it installed in my sump and rigged up a test system with a 4 footer with 3 drilled overflows. System worked a treat. Got most of the pipework now in place and just finishing off the drilling and overflow pipework back to the sump. So far so good.

Bungy

spread of disease in a system is not a big issue, or not in my experience anyway.

As most aquatic diseases are as easily spread in water droplets as through direct contact this is not really something to worry about.

I have run systems with UV, Ozone and uv & o3 together as well as nothing..... I currently have 3 systems in the same shed with no "protection"... & guess what?... no difference in disease (or lack thereof), just a saving of about £5.00 a day in electricity.... big uv units eat the stuff & if they are too small they might as well not be there.

as far as chloramine goes, talking to a couple of Asian breeders in Germany a few weeks ago & they don't seem to think it is even an issue, though they did treat for chlorine ( even when as chloramine, the NH3/4 element is so small as to not represent an issue at neutral to acid ph) when doing 100% water changes, [or sometimes more] but that makes sense as there is no bacterial load in the tank with 100% chlorinated ( or chloramine) water being added. Therefore the only biological agent for the chlorine to attack is the fish..... so treat.... but as we rarely do this kind of WC we still have a relatively high bacteria count in the remaining water... & the chlorine will help lower this.

Mike - agreed. I have always treated my water and given the very low cost of doing so even with a larger multi-tank setup I will continue to do so just to be safe.

Tolak

I'd love your input about the set up I'm building please.
I've got a 10x6 foot shed, insulated all round with 30mm kingspan.
Also skinned with 12mm osb all round with a air gap between the kingspan and osb.
I'm heating the whole room to 20c with a 2kw oil free dimplex heater, I shall then heat each tank to the required temp with individual heaters.
I'm also going to position a fan high up to circulate the rising heat.
Ok that's the environment.
The tanks
I will have 6 2metre tank with a divider in the centre of each tank, the bottom and backs will be insulated with kingspan.
These tanks all have an overflow to waste outside and each have a fresh HMA filtered water feed, allowing automated 10% water change every two days, via the 250ltr res, under a auto top up.
Filtration is achieved via two evolution aqua air pumps 130, each pump feeds 18 sponge filters. Allowing three sponge filters per tank division.
Also each tank division has its own circulation pump and the bottom of each tank.
Lighting comes in the form of Eco-aqua led lighting, one per 2 metre tank.
I've a simple t8 strip light to light up the shed while I work.

While I'm still in the building stages, I've still got so many unknowns. I ran a test last night and with no tanks in there or and other equipment, using just the dimplex, the shed maintained its temp of 20c and cost £0.028 per hour. Outside temps dropped to 5c.

Tolak you have a lot if experience with sponge filters, do you think my plans are viable?

Thanks

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back