Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Fish Resting On The Bottom Of The Tank

Discussion in 'Coldwater Fish and Ponds' started by firefighter1588, Oct 21, 2006.

1. firefighter1588

my fish (1 black moore, 2 orandas) are spending an hour or so resting on the bottom of tank in the corner, is this usual? :unsure:

2. black angel

black angel Retired Moderator

They could be sleeping?
    I take it youve checked your water quality and everything is fine? Maybe do a 60% water change and see if that helps

3. firefighter1588

yeah all levels are what they should be and i did a 50% water change this morning, so i guess their just resting :)

4. denis coghlan

denis coghlan Member

My fish do the exact same thing. They all lie on the bottom of the tank between 1-3 most days. I only see this behaviour on the weekends as I'm out at work during the week but I would imagine its a daily thing as it seems to happen like clockwork on Saturday and Sunday. The three fish just line up in a row on the bottom of the tank and get some R & R.

When I first saw this behaviour I was slightly apprehensive as their respiratory rate and gill movements slow way down but then I realised they where just catching some Z's.

I will try and get a pic next weekend as its quite unusual looking.

5. Tokis-Phoenix

What is the temp in the tank?

6. firefighter1588

thats reasuring to hear, would be nice to see a pic. temp in my tank is 20C. 8)

7. RandomWiktor

RandomWiktor Rabid Betta Activist

My commons take a rest by the bottom after doing any of the 3 F's (feeding, fighting, and... well, you know the last one). It doesn't usually last too long, maybe 15 min after a big meal, a little longer after fighting or mating. They're pretty active overall though. So long as your water params are all good, I reckon they're just having a rest.

8. zoekin8yg

zoekin8yg Member

fish sleep and generally the go to the bottom, or hide in/under things