Fish Pregnant Or Sick

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

kashifmasud

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just need an advise, my Keyhole Cichlid has recently gone fat, just wondering if she is pregnant or sick ? 

All Ammonia, Nitrites & Nitrates are normal. Say if Cichlid is pregnant, how do I make sure cichlid fry will survive as I have 2 grown angels that I worry that will try to eat fry.
I also have 4 Bolivian Rams & 3 Tetras in 180L Tank

Thanks
FullSizeRender_1.jpgFullSizeRender_2.jpg

These are not livebearing fish so it is not pregnant. It definitely looks bloated. Can you get a picture from above?

Also, what do you mean by normal? Actual numbers would be super helpful here, as many issues associated with bloating are due to poor water quality. And do you test with strips or tablets or liquid drops?

SeanTrollope said:
is she behaving normally?
sad2.gif
No She is slow and staying in corner

attibones said:
These are not livebearing fish so it is not pregnant. It definitely looks bloated. Can you get a picture from above?

Also, what do you mean by normal? Actual numbers would be super helpful here, as many issues associated with bloating are due to poor water quality. And do you test with strips or tablets or liquid drops?
 I will try to get the picture from above. Yes you are right they lay eggs but since I never had experience so I didn't know if they get fat before laying eggs..
I test water through the liquid drops, Ammonia is 0.25ppm, Nitrite 0ppm & Nitrate is slightly high 5ppm.

I can do water change to bring down nitrate but what else should i do for the fist as its bloated?

Nitrate is okay. It's the ammonia you should worry about. Pristine water will help. Do a water change every day and see if that helps. You could also try mashed peas or daphnia as both help with constipation and bloating.

Looks like dropsy to me 
sad.png
are her scales sticking out like a pine cone? this may be easier to view from above, if so it is dropsy, which unfortunately is untreatable, sometimes if it is caught at the very early stage it can be treated but she looks too far gone to me sorry 
sad.png

attibones said:
Nitrate is okay. It's the ammonia you should worry about. Pristine water will help. Do a water change every day and see if that helps. You could also try mashed peas or daphnia as both help with constipation and bloating.
I am not sure what you mean from pristine water? Anyway I have changed water, trying to feed her mashed peas but I don't think she is eating much or at all.

betta fish said:
Looks like dropsy to me 
sad.png
are her scales sticking out like a pine cone? this may be easier to view from above, if so it is dropsy, which unfortunately is untreatable, sometimes if it is caught at the very early stage it can be treated but she looks too far gone to me sorry 
sad.png
Yes dropsy maybe, I have treated water with "interpret anti internal bacteria" which explains pretty much same, what my cichlid is going through, Lets see how it goes..

Here is the photos from above, I hope it helps

Attachments

• FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 152
  • FullSizeRender_3.jpg
    FullSizeRender_3.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 153
By pristine water I mean ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0 and nitrate is as low as you can get it (this depends on your water source nitrate levels). The fish looks bloated like it has dropsy. However I don't see any pineconed scales which is dropsy's signature symptom. Dropsy is often linked to poor water (frequent exposure to ammonia or nitrite). How long have you had this fish? Did you cycle the aquarium with ammonia before you added fish? How long has your tank been set up?

attibones said:
By pristine water I mean ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0 and nitrate is as low as you can get it (this depends on your water source nitrate levels). The fish looks bloated like it has dropsy. However I don't see any pineconed scales which is dropsy's signature symptom. Dropsy is often linked to poor water (frequent exposure to ammonia or nitrite). How long have you had this fish? Did you cycle the aquarium with ammonia before you added fish? How long has your tank been set up?
The Tank is probably more than a year old and I guess i had cychlid pair for more than 6-8 months now. I have not added any new fish recently, not in last 2 months

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back