Fish Pooping Out White/clear Stringy Stuff?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Is it the bacteria infections that's causing my fish to not have babies?
Yep, any type of infection, be it internal or external will reduce the chance of the fish breeding. Likewise intestinal worms, gill flukes or any other parasite will also reduce the chance of the fish breeding. Internal problems are a common cause of poor fish growth and limited breeding success. If a fish is full of worms or diseases then it is going to use all its energy to fight off the infection. This means little nutrition is going to be used for making eggs or sperm. Once the fish are healthy and free of disease organisms, they usually breed readily.

This problem started more than 2 weeks ago so if it was an internal bacterial infection it should have killed most of the fish by now.

The pictures are working sometimes but I saw enough when they were :) It doesn’t look like they have whitespot, but they do appear to have flared gills and are quite skinny. This would probably be gill flukes & intestinal worms. The worms would cause the clear stringy poo. Both gill flukes and intestinal worms will suck the blood out of the fish and cause it to become skinny and pale.

The two Jungle products in the link should be fine to use but I’m not sure the anti-parasite medication will treat gill flukes or threadworms. It contains Levamisole, which will treat some species of threadworm but not all of them. It also contains Praziquantel, which will treat tapeworm, and gill flukes if the Praziquantel is in the water. The final ingredient is Metronidazole, which normally treats internal bacteria and protozoan infections. The medication should certainly help clear up some of the internal problems.

Praziquantel is used to treat dogs & cats for tapeworm and can be used to treat tapeworm and gill flukes in fish if you add it to the water. You use 100mg of Praziquantel per 20litres of water. Do a 50% water change 2 days later. Repeat the treatment a week later.

Flubendazole is available in the US. It treats virtually all intestinal worms and a number of external parasites. You might be able to start a thread asking if anyone in the US can send you some via express post. Possibly send mikev a PM and see if he knows where you can get some.

Clamped fins and rubbing on objects can be caused by external protozoan like costia, chilodonella & trichodina. Clamped fins can also be caused by bacterial & fungal infections, or by poor water quality and dirty gravel. Often the gunk in the gravel or filter will encourage disease organisms to build up in number, and at the same time the gunk and poor water quality can weaken the fish’s immune system. Then one day the fish get sick.

Do you clean the gravel when you do a water change?
How often do you clean the filter?

Is it the bacteria infections that's causing my fish to not have babies?
Yep, any type of infection, be it internal or external will reduce the chance of the fish breeding. Than how come the fish at the pet store have babies non-stop, and mostly all of them have diseases? Likewise intestinal worms, gill flukes or any other parasite will also reduce the chance of the fish breeding. Internal problems are a common cause of poor fish growth and limited breeding success. If a fish is full of worms or diseases then it is going to use all its energy to fight off the infection. This means little nutrition is going to be used for making eggs or sperm. Once the fish are healthy and free of disease organisms, they usually breed readily.
Awesome! That's great news for me! My fish will start having babies again once these dumb diseases are gone! :D

This problem started more than 2 weeks ago so if it was an internal bacterial infection it should have killed most of the fish by now.
Okay, well then that's good news too, because only a few fish died so far, and those ones were alive for at least 8 months - a year. (Which isn't much, but considering they had a disease.....)

The pictures are working sometimes but I saw enough when they were :) It doesn’t look like they have whitespot, but they do appear to have flared gills and are quite skinny. This would probably be gill flukes & intestinal worms. The worms would cause the clear stringy poo. Both gill flukes and intestinal worms will suck the blood out of the fish and cause it to become skinny and pale.
Yeah, those are the most unhealthy ones I have. The rest of my fish look perfectly (or almost perfectly...) fine:
103_2535.jpg (1.3 MB)
My fish hanging out, eating shrimp pellets. (above.)
103_2524.jpg (1.3 MB)
One of my pretty male guppies. (above.)
103_2523.jpg (1.2 MB)
This platy is a little sick, (you can see the clear poop if you look closely.) but I thought I'd just snap a picture anyways. (above.)
103_2512.jpg (1.2 MB)
A platy fry that actually survived. (above.)
103_2503.jpg (1.3 MB)
The brother of the platy fry in the last pic. (above.)
Okay, so you get the point. I won't shower you with pictures. But most of the fish are pretty healthy, there are just some that aren't, like this male platy: (and the female platy on top.)

103_2534.jpg (1.3 MB)

The two Jungle products in the link should be fine to use but I’m not sure the anti-parasite medication will treat gill flukes or threadworms. It won't treat external parasites. What are threadworms? It contains Levamisole, which will treat some species of threadworm but not all of them. It also contains Praziquantel, which will treat tapeworm, and gill flukes if the Praziquantel is in the water. The final ingredient is Metronidazole, which normally treats internal bacteria and protozoan infections. The medication should certainly help clear up some (some?) of the internal problems.

Praziquantel is used to treat dogs & cats for tapeworm and can be used to treat tapeworm and gill flukes in fish if you add it to the water. You use 100mg of Praziquantel per 20litres of water. Do a 50% water change 2 days later. Repeat the treatment a week later.
Wow, interesting! Thanks!

Flubendazole is available in the US. It treats virtually all intestinal worms and a number of external parasites. You might be able to start a thread asking if anyone in the US can send you some via express post. Possibly send mikev a PM and see if he knows where you can get some.
I'll see about that. Thanks. :)

Clamped fins and rubbing on objects can be caused by external protozoan like costia, chilodonella & trichodina. Clamped fins can also be caused by bacterial & fungal infections, or by poor water quality and dirty gravel. Often the gunk in the gravel or filter will encourage disease organisms to build up in number, and at the same time the gunk and poor water quality can weaken the fish’s immune system. Then one day the fish get sick.
Oh, interesting. My water quality is good, however: ammonia: 0ppm. nitrite: 0ppm. nitrate: 20ppm. ph: 7.5 temp: 78F

Do you clean the gravel when you do a water change?
Yes. I use a gravel vac every time. (Which is once a week.)
How often do you clean the filter?
About once a month, but I was recently slacking on that.
Thanks for the help so far! ;)

Than how come the fish at the pet store have babies non-stop, and mostly all of them have diseases?
Virtually all aquarium fish carry some diseases. However if the fish is strong and healthy (even tho it has a few diseases) the fish will be able to breed and produce some young. The problem is when the diseases get out of control and really affect the fish making them very sick. Then the fish need all their energy to fight the disease and won’t be interested in breeding.
It’s a bit like dogs and cats having intestinal worms in them. They can live quite happily with a few worms in their intestine, but when there are huge numbers of worms, they start to lose weight and become unwell.
A similar thing happens in people. We have bacteria, fungus and yeast living all over our body. If we shower each night then we keep these organisms at low levels and don’t have any problems. But if we don’t wash regularly then the organisms can build up and make us sick (cause skin infections and red rashes).

It won't treat external parasites. What are threadworms?
Threadworms are any type of round worm that lives inside animals, fish and birds, (basically they are thin parasitic worms that look like little threads or hairs). There are lots of different types of thread or round worm that infect animals and Levamisole will treat some of them but it won’t treat every species of round or thread worm.

The Jungle anti-parasite treatment should treat any tapeworms, some types of intestinal worms and any internal protozoan infections in the fish. This will leave some types of intestinal worms and external diseases like gill flukes and costia to be treated with something else, (if they have any of these other disease organisms).

Having water with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and a low nitrate level is good but you can still get a build up of gunk in the substrate or filter. Likewise you can still get a build-up of disease organisms in the water. Regular partial water changes and gravel cleaning (which you are doing) will certainly help keep the tank clean. However, it’s not a bad idea to increase the number of water changes every now and then, (ie: once a month do 2 or 3 water changes in a week, then go back to the weekly water changes). The extra water changes won’t make much difference to the water chemistry (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH) but it does help to dilute the diseases that are living in the tank and this can help the fish.

Than how come the fish at the pet store have babies non-stop, and mostly all of them have diseases?
Virtually all aquarium fish carry some diseases. However if the fish is strong and healthy (even tho it has a few diseases) the fish will be able to breed and produce some young. The problem is when the diseases get out of control and really affect the fish making them very sick. Then the fish need all their energy to fight the disease and won’t be interested in breeding.
Ah, I get it now! :lol:
It’s a bit like dogs and cats having intestinal worms in them. They can live quite happily with a few worms in their intestine, but when there are huge numbers of worms, they start to lose weight and become unwell.
A similar thing happens in people. We have bacteria, fungus and yeast living all over our body. If we shower each night then we keep these organisms at low levels and don’t have any problems. But if we don’t wash regularly then the organisms can build up and make us sick (cause skin infections and red rashes).

It won't treat external parasites. What are threadworms?
Threadworms are any type of round worm that lives inside animals, fish and birds, (basically they are thin parasitic worms that look like little threads or hairs). There are lots of different types of thread or round worm that infect animals and Levamisole will treat some of them but it won’t treat every species of round or thread worm.
Interesting... -_-

The Jungle anti-parasite treatment should treat any tapeworms, some types of intestinal worms and any internal protozoan infections in the fish. This will leave some types of intestinal worms and external diseases like gill flukes and costia to be treated with something else, (if they have any of these other disease organisms).
Yeah, I'll need to use a separate treatment for gill flukes. Can you recommend any? By the way, I have treated for gill flukes before, and I treated for a couple days, (That's how much the bottle said...) but the gill flukes never left.

Having water with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and a low nitrate level is good but you can still get a build up of gunk in the substrate or filter. Likewise you can still get a build-up of disease organisms in the water. Regular partial water changes and gravel cleaning (which you are doing) will certainly help keep the tank clean. However, it’s not a bad idea to increase the number of water changes every now and then, (ie: once a month do 2 or 3 water changes in a week, then go back to the weekly water changes). The extra water changes won’t make much difference to the water chemistry (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH) but it does help to dilute the diseases that are living in the tank and this can help the fish.
That's a good idea! Thanks!

The Jungle anti-parasite treatment should treat any tapeworms, some types of intestinal round worms and any internal protozoan infections in the fish. This will leave some types of intestinal worms and external diseases like gill flukes and costia to be treated with something else, (if they have any of these other disease organisms).
Yeah, I'll need to use a separate treatment for gill flukes. Can you recommend any? By the way, I have treated for gill flukes before, and I treated for a couple days, (That's how much the bottle said...) but the gill flukes never left

Praziquantel for dogs & cats, or sold as fluke and worm treatment for fish, or Flubendazole (see post # 46 for directions).
When treating for gill flukes you need to treat each week for several weeks. The flukes have eggs, which hatch out after a few days and it takes another week before they are mature. If you treat the tank each week for several weeks you should be able to get rid of them.
There are lots of medications that can be used to treat gill flukes but most of them contain Trichlorphon, Dipterex or Masoten, (it’s all the same stuff). Unfortunately this chemical doesn’t work very well and is really toxic to handle and for the fish. Praziquantel or Flubendazole work much better and are a lot safer for you and for the fish.

The Jungle anti-parasite treatment should treat any tapeworms, some types of intestinal round worms and any internal protozoan infections in the fish. This will leave some types of intestinal worms and external diseases like gill flukes and costia to be treated with something else, (if they have any of these other disease organisms).
Yeah, I'll need to use a separate treatment for gill flukes. Can you recommend any? By the way, I have treated for gill flukes before, and I treated for a couple days, (That's how much the bottle said...) but the gill flukes never left

Praziquantel for dogs & cats, or sold as fluke and worm treatment for fish, or Flubendazole (see post # 46 for directions).
When treating for gill flukes you need to treat each week for several weeks. The flukes have eggs, which hatch out after a few days and it takes another week before they are mature. If you treat the tank each week for several weeks you should be able to get rid of them.
There are lots of medications that can be used to treat gill flukes but most of them contain Trichlorphon, Dipterex or Masoten, (it’s all the same stuff). Unfortunately this chemical doesn’t work very well and is really toxic to handle and for the fish. Praziquantel or Flubendazole work much better and are a lot safer for you and for the fish.

Yeah, I have Jungle Parasite Clear that has Praziquantel and Flubendazole. I use that to treat for externals, but haven't been treating for each week. That would explain it...

Oh, and guess what.... my swordtail just had babies!!!! :hyper:
(Just thought I'd mention that...... :unsure: )
Thanks! :good:

Congrats on the babies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back