Fish Pooping Out White/clear Stringy Stuff?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fry_forever!

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi. My fish have been pooping out the white-clearish stringy stuff for a while, and I've heard that it's an internal parasite. My fish were done with their ich treatments half a week ago, and now almost all of their parasitical symptoms are gone..... except they're still pooping out that white stringy stuff. Is it just a parasite that could be causing this? Because I've had my temp up to 87F for this whole week to help get rid of the last of ich, and they are still pooping that gross stuff out like there's no tomorrow. Could it be something with their diet? I feed them Nutrafin trop. flake food once a day, and sometimes I'll give them an algae disc or a few shrimp pellets,(for the corys.) but normally only once every couple days. Do you think constipation is still a possibility?

I really want to get rid of this, so I can declare my fish "healthy" again, for like the first time in almost 6 months of suffering from this! (I can't seem to get rid of it!)

Thanks in advance for any help!
Cheers!

P.S. I used Jungle Labs Parasite clear to treat the ich, but it didn't help much, and it said to only treat twice. So I followed the instructions, and stopped treating, but kept my temp up and increased aeration. This ich is never-ending! :angry:

Hi. My fish have been pooping out the white-clearish stringy stuff for a while, and I've heard that it's an internal parasite. My fish were done with their ich treatments half a week ago, and now almost all of their parasitical symptoms are gone..... except they're still pooping out that white stringy stuff. Is it just a parasite that could be causing this? Because I've had my temp up to 87F for this whole week to help get rid of the last of ich, and they are still pooping that gross stuff out like there's no tomorrow. Could it be something with their diet? I feed them Nutrafin trop. flake food once a day, and sometimes I'll give them an algae disc or a few shrimp pellets,(for the corys.) but normally only once every couple days. Do you think constipation is still a possibility?

Is there any other slight color to the poop? My fish used to do that if they had been eating vegitation. How long have they been pooping clear? was it a long time before you started medicating?

Do the fish still have whitespot, if so you need to keep treating. or change meds. You would have to do a water change and run some black carbon before you switched meds.

Long stringy white poo can be constipation, bacterial infections, internal parasites.
Clear poo can be the fish hasn't been eating, internal parasites.
Do any fish look skinny or bloated.
Does the tummy look sunken in.
Any fish with bent spines,
Do any fish swim on there sides.
Is the anus enlarged or red and inflamed.
Any worms prutruding from the anus.

Do the fish still have whitespot, if so you need to keep treating. or change meds. You would have to do a water change and run some black carbon before you switched meds.
I have tried two meds: Jungle Parasite Clear and Life Bearer. Both of them have almost done more harm than good.

Long stringy white poo can be constipation, bacterial infections, internal parasites.
Clear poo can be the fish hasn't been eating, internal parasites.
The poo is mostly clear and stringy, but it has some pinkish-reddish poop attached to it. (regular poop.)
Do any fish look skinny or bloated.
My female molly is extremely skinny, with her fins clamped.
Does the tummy look sunken in.
Ummm, not really,...
Any fish with bent spines,
One of my female guppies is starting to get a bent spine.
Do any fish swim on there sides.
No.
Is the anus enlarged or red and inflamed.
No.
Any worms prutruding from the anus.
Not that I can see. I thought I saw something in one of my guppies, but I'm pretty sure it's gone after I treated for whitespot the first time.

I would treat your fish for internal parasites.
Being skinny with a bent spine can be old age, fish tb, internal parasites.
Do you feed any red or pink foods to the fish.

I would treat your fish for internal parasites.
They're starting to get better, but can I treat with heat and salt? It seems to be working at 87F.
Being skinny with a bent spine can be old age, fish tb, (What does tuberculosis do to fish?) internal parasites.
I actually don't think she has a bent spine, now that I look closer.
Do you feed any red or pink foods to the fish.
Sometimes shrimp pellets, but they're not THAT pink.... They're more brownish than anything.... Also tropical flakes...

Its hard to say fish tb without loads of symtoms and test.
Its best to worm your fish instead as being skinny and bent can also by signs of internal parasites.

Its hard to say fish tb without loads of symtoms and test.
Its best to worm your fish instead as being skinny and bent can also by signs of internal parasites.

Ok, I'm not too worried anymore though. What do you mean "it's best to worm my fish"?

Its best to worm new fish for internal parasites.

Can you please explain how to do that? Best meds to use??

What's your location.

Can you please explain how to do that? Best meds to use??

What's your location.
I live in Canada. Do you think they sell medicated food at Petland or Petcetera? (If you know what those stores are...) I was just at Petland, but I totally forgot to ask them about medicated food. My fish are sick all over again.... They are pooping out white and clear stringy stuff, and are very thin and some are lying at the bottom of the tank. I just tested for ammonia, nitrite, ph and nitrate. The results were: Ammonia: 0ppm. Nitrite: 0ppm. Nitrate: 20ppm. Ph: 7.5
I honestly don't know what to do anymore. Yesterday I medicated again with Jungle Labs Parasite Clear, so far, there are no good results. I really want to try that medicated food, but I know my parents won't take me back to the petstore 2 days in a row. :(
Please help!
P.S. I still don't know what "worming" a fish is.....?

What fish have the internal parasites, as not all internal wormers treat camallanous worms.

For camallanous worms you need levaimsole.

Yes you can use medicated food as long as the fish are still eating and all the fish eat it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back