Fish Out Of Water

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

snowflake311

Fish nerd
Reaction score
I had my fish in a 20 gal tall. I moved them to a 20gal long so they would have more room. I was dealing with some awful brown hair algae I wanted to start over too. I set up the tank all is well. Most of the fish loved the extra space. I had 2 golden killifish. They were hanging out together and seemed to be really happy. Then one day I notice one chasing the other really bad. I never saw them do that before. A day goes by and one golden killi is missing. I look but can't find him.so I think it must be hiding. Next day I feed them live worms. Still no sign of the fish. Today I cleaned the tank expecting to find a dead fish but saw none. I switched out the light to led and as I am doing that I find the fish on the ground dry. I was upset. I have a lid on the tank but the is a bit of a space. The other fish must have scared him out of the tank.
Poor fish.

They had been fine for a month together no problems at all. So it was weird to see such a change in behavior.

These killifish are crazy. One time I found a white clouds tail sticking out of its mouth. This fish ate a small fish whole. I never saw such a big belly on a healthy fish.

So if you can't find you missing fish check the ground.

Golden Killi's are known jumpers sadly.  And they do get a bit aggressive towards each other.

I have a conundrum where I have an almost fully grown male in a tank with a slightly smaller female.  They had fry and the larger of the fry is growing fast.  Bigger than a neon now and is in with Ember tetra.  I'm thinking it won't be long until he's able to have a go at the Embers but is too small to move in with his parents.  He picks on his younger sibling too.  I can see the Embers moving in with my Celestial Pearl Danios which I don't really want to do as I'd never be able to separate them (CPD shoal is about 40 at the moment).

this happened to my curvicep cichlid female. I left the tank unattended with the lid open and I found her dried up on the floor. I was deverstated. It was the first time I've cried over losing a fish. Her mate then pined for her and he died just over a week ago - yet again, I cried.

All fish will jump. Even my cories have hit the tank lid with enough force to lift it before today. I had a harlequin that jumped out of my quarantine tank. I found that dried up on the floor several weeks later aswell. Sadly it happens and this is why I would never have an open topped tank  

At my job, I witness Killifish jump straight out of the tank all the time. Sometimes our fish even jump to the other neighboring tanks. It's pretty funny to come in the next day to find one tetra in the other next to the tank where all the other tetra are in. 
I've also had a similar experience with Tequila Sunrise Guppies. I had three of them for the longest time, no problems, and one suddenly went missing for weeks. When I tore down the tank, I found his shribbled up body behind the stand. Really gross.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back