Fish Is Hiding.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

zoolander

Reaction score
I've got a tank with four yellow lab cichlids and a brichardi cichlid. All the fish are under 2.5" but are about the same size. The brichardi chases the labs some but has not shown overt signs of aggression. Still, the largest of the labs has taken to hiding behind the filter arm at the top of the tank. He doesn't seem injured, is breathing fine and eating.

Considering all tank vitals are fine, other than the temperature being slightly below normal, should I be worried? I figure it's just the fish getting used to a new tank. The tank is cycled (ammonia is at 0).

Should I treat with stress coat?

Update: I just transferred the fish to another smaller tank for now.

Fish can hide because they're sick. Are you sure everything is normal? No extremely small injuries, cuts, holes, spots, lack of appetite, change in color, ext?

Or it could just be he doesn't feel safe yet in a new tank. Let us know if anything changes in a day or so.

The fish has no injuries, cuts, holes, spots. From what I can tell, he is eating well. The color doesn't really look much different. If anything there is a slight paleness about the fish. The only thing I can notice is a little bit of fin damage on his tail fin, and I'm certain that happened when the fish were introduced to the tank.

I'm not sure this fish is a lab. It has red eyes. It may have been mixed in with the labs, but it looks to me to be an albino of some sort. I don't know if that has anything to do with aggression. The other fish are acting just fine, but it seems that my brichardi and one of the larger labs has it out for this guy. I have a orange fake plant next to the filter. I actually bought it yesterday to help him blend in to avoid getting attacked.

Will they eventually leave him alone or is this going to continue until he is dead?

It's unlikely that they'll leave him alone unless you cover most of your tank in plants so that they can't see him most of the time.

Sorry I wouldn't be able to identify him, but I'm sure if you posted a pic in another thread someone would be able to.

I've identified him as an Albino Labidochromis Caeruleus.

I have covered the tank for right now, as a black out seems the best way to handle the situation until I can get more plants tomorrow. The LOS needs to be broken anyway, I've just been putting off getting more plants.

Thanks for the reply.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back