Fish-in Cycling

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Others will not recommend API, such as myself who found the tests to be as accurate as asking Uri Gellar to think of a number while bending spoons, especially their nitrate kit.

Anyone else question the accuracy of the API tests, like andy? I must admit that his are the first negative opinions I have heard of the kit, and I can't comment on them myself, as I have never realy used them. I add the API kit into the origional post, as this is the one I see most members recomending to others. Are they not as good as they should be? If not they will be removed.

All the best
Rabbut

Great thread Rabbut. You were helping me treat for ich while cycling in another thread, but I also found this one helpful.

My only suggestion would be to elaborate a bit where you suggest testing twice a day and changing the water as appropriate. Very good advice, but for a true beginner there isn't any info about what to expect while the cycle progresses.

For example: While I was cycling (still am), I was testing frequently in the beginning and getting the same results almost every time: both ammonia and nitrite would rise. I kept doing 50% water changes to get it back down, only to see them come right back up. Then today, suddenly, in less than a 24 hour period, my nitrites shot through the roof (I had been seeing about a doubling, this was more like a quadrupling or more) and the ammonia actually dropped on its own (no water change). Unfortunately, I was at work and lost one of my platies. :( The other was struggling, and I actually thought I lost him while changing the water, but he perked up again after the change. (The ich still won't leave!)

I suppose my point is that beginners need to be aware that the levels can change fast. Also, I don't think it was clearly stated in the post that ammonia is converted into nitrite. A zero reading of nitrite could mean that you simply don't have bacteria yet, and you need to watch out for a sudden increase.

-P

i found nothing wrong with this post but as i read the suggestions of others i realized that BTT was right. I'm not looking at this like a beginner. :blush: i still think this is a great thread tho and it should be pinned.

hey rabbut what are the chances of resubmitting this as a finished product when all the bases have been covered? i'd be glad to help.

Great thread Rabbut. You were helping me treat for ich while cycling in another thread, but I also found this one helpful.

My only suggestion would be to elaborate a bit where you suggest testing twice a day and changing the water as appropriate. Very good advice, but for a true beginner there isn't any info about what to expect while the cycle progresses.

For example: While I was cycling (still am), I was testing frequently in the beginning and getting the same results almost every time: both ammonia and nitrite would rise. I kept doing 50% water changes to get it back down, only to see them come right back up. Then today, suddenly, in less than a 24 hour period, my nitrites shot through the roof (I had been seeing about a doubling, this was more like a quadrupling or more) and the ammonia actually dropped on its own (no water change). Unfortunately, I was at work and lost one of my platies. :( The other was struggling, and I actually thought I lost him while changing the water, but he perked up again after the change. (The ich still won't leave!)

I suppose my point is that beginners need to be aware that the levels can change fast. Also, I don't think it was clearly stated in the post that ammonia is converted into nitrite. A zero reading of nitrite could mean that you simply don't have bacteria yet, and you need to watch out for a sudden increase.

-P

OK, will modify tomorrow, as don't have time now, to reflect how you found it. I will attempt to clarify it a bit.

i found nothing wrong with this post but as i read the suggestions of others i realized that BTT was right. I'm not looking at this like a beginner. :blush: i still think this is a great thread tho and it should be pinned.

hey rabbut what are the chances of resubmitting this as a finished product when all the bases have been covered? i'd be glad to help.

I guess that I could repost this once complete, but TBH don't reli see the point, as it is good to re-read the feedback if changes are requested, to see if they conflict with past improvements e.c.t

Thanks for your help
Rabbut

Anyone? Members who have just read this, did you find it easy enough to understand?

All the best
Rabbut

newish to hobby and this is my first post ever, yes easy to understand. I will likely try this method for my next tank. I have have 2 tanks now. I did my 1st tank wrong for starters but was turned on to the Biospira right away before any damage was done, and that worked for me. I just started a 2nd tank about 10 days ago, it was a Betta bowl (2.5 gal) and the fish got sick right away so I switched to a 3 gal biowheel setup. I've done frequent water changes due to the medication. Today was the last day of medication, so I will be putting the carbon into the filter and I may put Biospira in this tank too, now that meds have stopped but I'm wondering if should try to let the tank cycle without it? (The guys at the LFS stores around here all like the product and I have 4 fish specialty stores within 10 miles of me) I have all the tests on hand.

I did a fish in cycle, and the guy at the LFS said that i could put my fish in my tank a few hours after adding water if i added water conditioner and a product called cycle to the water and i did...the fish were fine and they were swimming around normaly.

but next tank i think i will do a fishless cycle...

I did my 1st tank wrong for starters but was turned on to the Biospira right away before any damage was done, and that worked for me.

Biospira is one of the few "bactiria in the bottle" products that work, assuming that it has been stored correctly. Always check that the product has been refigerated.

I just started a 2nd tank about 10 days ago, it was a Betta bowl (2.5 gal) and the fish got sick right away so I switched to a 3 gal biowheel setup. I've done frequent water changes due to the medication. Today was the last day of medication, so I will be putting the carbon into the filter and I may put Biospira in this tank too, now that meds have stopped but I'm wondering if should try to let the tank cycle without it?

I would move some mature media across from the tank(s) you already have cycled, so that you don't have to buy biospira, and mature media is also more likely to still be biologicaly active once added to the tank :good:

(The guys at the LFS stores around here all like the product and I have 4 fish specialty stores within 10 miles of me) I have all the tests on hand.

They sound better than most, acctualy recomending a product that does what it says, however none recomend a fishless cycle. This still leaves me questioning their advise. Next time you go in, ask them about fishless cycling, and see what they say about it, and also ask why they don't normaly advise it. See what they say....If it is a good answer (though I can't think of one off the top of my head) then you can trust them.

All the best
Rabbut

I did my 1st tank wrong for starters but was turned on to the Biospira right away before any damage was done, and that worked for me.

Biospira is one of the few "bactiria in the bottle" products that work, assuming that it has been stored correctly. Always check that the product has been refigerated.

I just started a 2nd tank about 10 days ago, it was a Betta bowl (2.5 gal) and the fish got sick right away so I switched to a 3 gal biowheel setup. I've done frequent water changes due to the medication. Today was the last day of medication, so I will be putting the carbon into the filter and I may put Biospira in this tank too, now that meds have stopped but I'm wondering if should try to let the tank cycle without it?

I would move some mature media across from the tank(s) you already have cycled, so that you don't have to buy biospira, and mature media is also more likely to still be biologicaly active once added to the tank :good:

(The guys at the LFS stores around here all like the product and I have 4 fish specialty stores within 10 miles of me) I have all the tests on hand.

They sound better than most, acctualy recomending a product that does what it says, however none recomend a fishless cycle. This still leaves me questioning their advise. Next time you go in, ask them about fishless cycling, and see what they say about it, and also ask why they don't normaly advise it. See what they say....If it is a good answer (though I can't think of one off the top of my head) then you can trust them.

All the best
Rabbut

I'll definitely ask, as I am trying to educate myself and obviously both times the fish was already in and it was too late... I had media from my other tank in there already, I also had the Biospira on hand, so I added, and my levels spiked Way Up!! I changed that water to bring them down last night, and they were up again this morning, so I changed it again... this time conditioning with Amquel instead of Stress Coat, this brought the levels right to normal... and I wasn't going to be home all day to check. Also, poor fish may be getting tired of me messing with him...he doesn't mind the hose, comes when I feed but isn't really building bubble nests yet (as I he had a chance with that many water changes) would you have done anything different there? I want to put some of my live plants from the other tank in there, and a couple of more fish too but it has been soo unstable.

Also, poor fish may be getting tired of me messing with him...

He's under less stress than if you were to just leave him, so keep up for now...he'll soon forgive you :good:

but isn't really building bubble nests yet (as I he had a chance with that many water changes) would you have done anything different there?

I would surgest that he is a little too stressed ATM to be thinking about breeding, so again, on't worry about this. As soon as the ammonia and nitrite are back under contral, provided conditions are right, he'll start building again

I want to put some of my live plants from the other tank in there, and a couple of more fish too but it has been soo unstable.

Plants can be added at amy part of the cycle, as they actualy absorb ammonia and nitrite more readily than nitrate, thus may even help the situation. I agree though that things aren't suitable for more fish. Again, once all levels are back where thay should be, you are ready to add a few more. Remember to watch the stats after adding them though :good:

All the best
Rabbut

Nobodys posted improvements for a while, so presuably most are happy with it?

Is this a thread worth pinning? Mods? I ask as a few have asked for it to be pinned once modifications have been finished. I notice there isn't an easy-to-find guide for fish-in cycling on the forum ATM. I was wondering if one is worth while, as many newbies get stuck in a situation where they have to fish-in cycle, due to lfs advise.

Thanks all
Rabbut

A few spelling and grammar issues:

“In a cycled tank, ammonia from fish waste is brocken down into nitrite, by one set of bacteria. Another type of bacteria then break down nitrite into nitrate, the usual bi-product of your filters.”

“Brocken” should be broken and…

“There are many brands out there, mostly doing the same job. Check they remove chlorine chloramines and heavy metals.”

There should be a comma between chlorine and chloramines.

Other than that all I can say is “PIN IT!” I have already made links to this post whilst giving advice to people doing fish-in cycles so it is definitely helpful.

A few spelling and grammar issues:

“In a cycled tank, ammonia from fish waste is brocken down into nitrite, by one set of bacteria. Another type of bacteria then break down nitrite into nitrate, the usual bi-product of your filters.”

“Brocken” should be broken and…

“There are many brands out there, mostly doing the same job. Check they remove chlorine chloramines and heavy metals.”

There should be a comma between chlorine and chloramines.

Other than that all I can say is “PIN IT!” I have already made links to this post whilst giving advice to people doing fish-in cycles so it is definitely helpful.
:blush:

Woops. I'll get that fixed :good:

Thanks for pointing that out

Rabbut

one little thing... I remember when I was a newbie I had no idea what the nitrogen cycle even was. While you explain the practical steps very well (and that is the most important bit after all), there's isn't much explanation of what happens in the nitrogen cycle (ie. fish waste = ammonia, converted by Bacteria1 to nitrite, which is onverted to bacteria 2 into nitrate). Probably not vital to explain, but I found it helpful to know where these chemicals are coming from. Maybe a little brief explaination in the "What is cycling" intro bit? literally a sentence or two.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back