Fish ID Please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hamsnacks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
A friend moved into a house and the owners left behind a tank filled with some fish, I was able to ID a few fish but not all of them, hoping you guys can help with these.

I know the Angels and Pleco, wondering if you guys know the type they are. Will most likely be putting them all up for sale but might to my community tank if they are compatible.

Thanks in advance, 13 Pictures in total. (Couldn't find the fish ID section, if I'm posting in the wrong part)

Just adding the link to a friend's album on imgur.

https://imgur.com/a/gLFQonh

Pictures starting at top and working down.
Gold marble angelfish and silver angelfish
gold marble angelfish and silver angelfish
giant danio - need to be kept in groups. peaceful. grow to 2 inches
giant danio
female bristlenose - get a male and breed them. sell babies to pay for hobby.
female bristlenose
male long fin rosy barb - need to be in groups of 6 or more (preferably 10 or more). Females are bronze, males are red.
male long fin rosy barb
possibly ember tetras. (never photograph fish in a bare glass container because they lose colour and it makes it harder to id them)
possibly ember tetras
female cherry barb - needs a group of 6 or more. Males are red and slimmer, females are brown and fatter
female cherry barb
interesting female white and red platy - find a white male and put them together for a few days then move the male out and leave her to produce babies for the next 6 months.

--------------------------
Does your friend want the tank?
If not, perhaps you could take it and keep the fish and tank.

You're awesome Colin! Don't know how you do it lol. Incredible!

He actually wants to gift the tank to someone so wants the fish gone and most of them, due to their number requirements wouldn't fit well in my tank. I might take the 2 Angelfish, if they lived with the ember tetras peacefully they might work out.

2 questions:

- The angelfish do have a little fish rot, but they were also in a tank that was abandoned. If they are put in a clean tank and taken care of properly, also fed garlic will they heal up eventually?

- I have attached a photo of a pleco in my tank, are you able to ID it? Cause if it's a male then I would keep the female as well.

Thank you again for everything!

http://imgur.com/a/R6DkOM8

Also, I do have a school of 6 Rosy Barbs, would the longfin feel comfortable in that school or would it be best to find him a new home with actual Longfin Rosy barbs?

You don't have to feed the angels garlic, But put them in clean water and keep them well maintained and the tails will heal up without any issues.

How big is your catfish and did you buy it as a common bristlenose?
If it is small (2-3inches) then it looks like a young male. The males get lots of big bristles on their nose and short bristles on the edge of their pectoral (side) fins. The females sometimes get a few short bristles on their nose and normally none on their pectoral fins.

The long fin rosy barb should be fine with the others you have.

Yeah, I did buy him as a common bristlenose, he's still a small guy, about 2-3 inches right now.

I will see how he looks in the tank then and if I like the long fins lol

Keep the female bristlenose from your friend's tank and put some pvc pipe in the tank for them. Have the pipe about 40-50mm (just under 2inches) in diameter x about 8inches long and put one end in the gravel. They will usually breed in the pipe and the male will look after the eggs. The babies feed on dead plant matter, driftwood and algae.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back