Fish going for my hand

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

LJH

Reaction score
my fish now think it is fun to try and have a nibble out of my arm if I put my arm in the tank, just now tried to cover up some air pipes and a gourami (dwarf red and pink) tried to nibble me, how can I stop this and make them scared again??????????? or is this it they will 'have a go' all the time?

I don't know anything about gourami's, but aren't they docile fish?
They're probably just checking you out. You have to remember that a tank is the fish's territory, not ours and they either want you out of it or are just curious and investigating.

All my cichlids have always done that. I have a Flowerhorn that attacks my arm and net and takes it away from me and thrashes it around the tank before I can get it back from him. It's just his territory in there and he's defending it.

I wouldn't try to make them scared. I think you'll regret it later on as they'll probably run and hide from you even when you approach the tank.

one more thing one of my neons is getting bullied big time off the other neons, I can't seperate it as I have fry in the seperation net and I don't have another tank any idea's on what to do?

The neon made it through the night but half it's tail fin is missing, I suppose it kept hiding in the plants well at least it is still alive.

And the fry seem to be doing ok I can actually see them without a magnifing glass :D

my gouramis do have a tendency to be nosy, they often come and 'kiss' my hand :wub: when i'm doing maintainance.sometimes they like to flip or jump when the tank lid is up as well.trouble is it makes me jump! but its nice they like to play and they dont seem to worry about work being done on the tank ,its their way of being friendly pebbles :)

LJH,

I have some paste fish food which some of my community fish (including dwarf gouramis) will eat from the tip of my finger. I think it sounds like yours are just seeing what is going on. Gouramis won't be able to do you any damage (AFAIK) so I wouldn't worry.

SMB,
I have a Flowerhorn that attacks my arm and net and takes it away from me and thrashes it around the tank before I can get it back from him
I assume you are talking about the net and not your arm :lol:

Cheers, Eddie

EddieW said:
LJH,

I have some paste fish food which some of my community fish (including dwarf gouramis) will eat from the tip of my finger. I think it sounds like yours are just seeing what is going on. Gouramis won't be able to do you any damage (AFAIK) so I wouldn't worry.

SMB,
I have a Flowerhorn that attacks my arm and net and takes it away from me and thrashes it around the tank before I can get it back from him
I assume you are talking about the net and not your arm :lol:

Cheers, Eddie
LOL, yea, the net. :D

LJH said:
my fish now think it is fun to try and have a nibble out of my arm if I put my arm in the tank, just now tried to cover up some air pipes and a gourami (dwarf red and pink) tried to nibble me, how can I stop this and make them scared again??????????? or is this it they will 'have a go' all the time?
LMAO!! my black moor luvs to do that only i think he's just trying to see if theres food on my hand :p he's a eater. i hope he gets fat and cute :D

Most reactions

Back