Fish for the upper half

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

HazMatt

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was at the LFS and spotted something I had not seen before, rhombo barbs. Now, I want them. Since my research suggests that they stay in the lower half of the tank, I'd like suggestions for fish that stay in the top half of the tank.

Here is what I plan on keeping, rhombo barbs, kubotia loaches and panda garra. My water parameters are 7.4 pH, 9 GH and 8 KH. I'd like upper half fish that reach at least 2.5 inches but not much over 4 inches max.

Any suggestions?

I know, I know. I keep changing my mind about what I want to keep. This is the final time I ask a similar question, I promise...ooOo what's that fish... Hmm maybe a few more questions like this. lol

Hatchetfish or perhaps African freshwater butterfly fish. But the butterfly fish grows to about 4 inches and have big mouths but they shouldn't eat the 5 banded barbs (rhombo barbs).

Hatchetfish or perhaps African freshwater butterfly fish. But the butterfly fish grows to about 4 inches and have big mouths but they shouldn't eat the 5 banded barbs (rhombo barbs).

I'm not real familiar with hatchets. Are there any that grow over 2 inches?

In my previous thread, you mentioned rainbows. I've found yellow banded rainbows interesting. Are there any you know of that grow to 3 - 4 inches?

I think most hatchetfish are small, 1-2 inches. Someone else might know of bigger species.

I only use scientific names for rainbowfish because there are way too many common names used and they can mean anything.

The only yellow rainbowfish I know of is Melanotaenia herbertaxelrodi, which grows to about 4 inches but are a bit boisterous for the barbs and I wouldn't mix them with hatchetfish or African butterfly fish either.

Smaller rainbowfish like Melanotaenia praecox, maccullochi, sexlineata, pygmaea, and the Pseudomugils would be fine with the barbs and should be ok with hatchetfish, but the hatchetfish might get a little spooked having rainbows moving around and could jump. So make sure you have a decent cover on the tank if you want hatchetfish, African butterfly fish or rainbows, because they are all aerial acrobats. :)

I think most hatchetfish are small, 1-2 inches. Someone else might know of bigger species.

I only use scientific names for rainbowfish because there are way too many common names used and they can mean anything.

The only yellow rainbowfish I know of is Melanotaenia herbertaxelrodi, which grows to about 4 inches but are a bit boisterous for the barbs and I wouldn't mix them with hatchetfish or African butterfly fish either.

Smaller rainbowfish like Melanotaenia praecox, maccullochi, sexlineata, pygmaea, and the Pseudomugils would be fine with the barbs and should be ok with hatchetfish, but the hatchetfish might get a little spooked having rainbows moving around and could jump. So make sure you have a decent cover on the tank if you want hatchetfish, African butterfly fish or rainbows, because they are all aerial acrobats. :)

I was thinking of adding one additional species. That sight you posted, in my previous thread, definitely looks to be a good resource. I just wish all the species had a quick breakdown. It can take a while to read through all of the information provided.

Hatchetfish have been mentioned, but there needs to be some reservations.

The smallest species are those in Carnegiella, and they are too docile and sensitive for a tank with loaches and garra, which will need more water current (the garra) anyway and hatchets do not like this, as they are pond, lagoon, flooded fo=rest, small stream fish. These tend to remain around 1 inch, a tad more for the Marble (C. strigata), and they are very quiet fish. I wouldn't suggest these.

The larger species, and interestingly more active, are those in the genera Gasteropelicus and Thoracocharax. The Platinum, T. stellatus, is especially lovely and can be quite interactive. These species tend to remain just below the surface, unlike their cousins in Carnegiella that are at the surface. More robust in a sense, you still need some quiet water so they are not forced into a current 24/7 which will wear them down. They are all shoaling and the more there are the better (less stressed) they will be. At least eight, or a few more better.

Since the snakeskin barbs are smaller than what I was originally thinking of getting, I'll probably drop the panda garra for otocinclus.

How about gouramis? I know there are some smaller species. I'm just not familiar with which one would be best in a group in a community.

Basic run down and care for all Australian & New Guinea rainbowfishes except wild caught Iriatherina werneri, Rhadinocentrus ornatus, Pseudomugil signifier from the ocean and Pseudomugil cyanordorsalis. Any captive bred fishes will be fine with the following info but the 4 species above need slightly different requirements if wild caught.

Keep them in neutral to alkaline water and keep the GH above 150ppm. The harder the water the better they seem to do. They get nervous and skittish when kept in acid water or water with high nitrates.

Water temperature between 20-30C. Do regular big (75%) water changes and keep the tank covered.

Feed them a variety of food including plant matter, most of them love duckweed (floating plant).

The range in size from 1 inch for Pseudomugils, to 4 inches for most of the bigger species.

Keep them in groups of 8 or more, you can mix species of the same size and they all hang out together.

Most species of rainbowfish will readily hybridise and produce fertile young so never breed them in a mixed community tank. Only ever breed them in a single species tank.

Sexing rainbowfishes is generally very easy with many species having different colours for males and females, males being brighter coloured. Male rainbowfish have longer pointed dorsal & anal fins, females have shorter rounded dorsal & anal fins. Males produce a dorsal blaze (line of colour running from the edge of the first dorsal fin to the top of the mouth) when displaying, females never produce a dorsal blaze.

-------------------------
Small gouramis include: Honey dwarf, Indian Banded, Licorice, Chocolate (altho best in a species tank), Sparkling.

On seriouslyfish.com I spotted 2 gourami that interested me, croaking gourami and black paradise. Does anyone have experience with these?

Croaking gourami are similar to sparkling gouramis and are small, peaceful and pretty little fish.

Black Paradise fish are similar to the normal paradise fish. the males are territorial and fight but females are relatively peaceful. The males can reach 4 inches long and should not be trusted with small fish like neon tetras.
They do however, make stunning specimens in a single species tank.

Agree. And all gourami are quiet, sedate fish, and should not be combined with active swimming species like barbs, or loaches for that matter.

Hmm, it appears that my want for a particular fish and my water parameters don't quite match. The snakeskin barbs do better neutral to slightly acidic water. My local water is slightly alkaline. Grrr.

The barbs will be fine in slightly alkaline (pH up to 7.6) without any issues. If the pH is over 8.0 then they will have issues :)

The GH is even more important of course, and it is a bit higher than the barbs prefer. And they will be wild caught fish. I'd hate to say try it and have them react; Desmopuntius rhomboocellatus occurs in blackwater streams and peat swamps, areas with a pH of 3 or 4, and very soft...I would suggest they should be in softer and slightly acidic water.

Too bad I have never seen this species here, I have the ideal water out of the tap!

My friend and I went to the best LFS in the area, an hour away and I might have fallen in love with a rainbow. They called them kamaka rainbows. Below is the most similar pic I could find. I don't know if they were properly named. Does anyone here know the proper name and can anyone give me the basic rundown,, water parameters,, adult size, etc.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back