Fish Flashing Against Objects, Does That Mean It Has A Disease?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

QuotheRaven

Something smells humany
Reaction score
But there are no white spots on any of the fish but my red wag tail flashes up against a plant like it has Ich.
A side question does aquarium salt hurt loaches Black ghost knife fishes or any of the fishes in my signature?

But there are no white spots on any of the fish but my red wag tail flashes up against a plant like it has Ich.
A side question does aquarium salt hurt loaches Black ghost knife fishes or any of the fishes in my signature?

It will hurt the catfish and the Black Ghost Knife, I'd imagine... but don't quote me on it.

Generally, if a fish stratches, it's itchy; similiar to how humans and other great apes react to itch :lol:
By no means does he/she have a disease just because he's/she's itchy. But if other symptoms show up, that's another story.

-Lynden

awesome....Lol

fish stress me out to much!!!

and another question for anyone who reads this My yoyo loach chases my red platy and gets even to its side and follows the platies every movement is that aggression or is it playing?

Just watch for laboured breathing and lethargy as these can follow "flashing" as advanced stages of microscopic exoparasitic infections such as fish lice and flukes. I've known my fish to flick/rub on things every once and awhile but repeatedly doing it is a sign of some sort of parasitic infection. I've also known my fish to flick/rub when the ammonia levels are high, as it irritates their skin and can actually cause burns at higher levels. (Just something you may want to check.)

Will do the platies eat quite well when the barbs don't steal their food and they are swimming fine....I think I need to set up my 10 gallon tank for a hospital/quarantine tank very soon

Hi there.

My YoYo Loach does exactly the same with my Platies but never hurt them.Its more like "smelling them".I would not worry.

For the itching.My platies started to ich when I 1st setup the tank and it was the start of ich as at that stage I could not see the parasite yet.

All my ich have been cured but I do find that 1 platie kept on scrathing itself and at the end of the day it was my PH that was at 8.Brought it down a bit and all seems fine now.

As for salt.I believe salt works wonders but only use it if you have 2.Like I used salt in the tank while I had ich but have stopped using it a while back as I dont need it anymore.Salt did nothing to my YoYo loach and I dont think it will harm any fish in a short period.Just use it correctly and watch the fish after you have used it.

All the best!

No salt. It can stress out scaleless fish (loaches, cory cats) to the point of disease and infection and actually does more harm than good for them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back