fish dying slowly

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jesuitstudent05

Reaction score
Hi,

My problem is that every time I do a water change one of my fish seems to die. I put dechlorinator in the water and i have tested the PH which is around 7.4 and there is no ammonia in the water. Am I just not putting enough decholinator in the water? I have a 29 and 55 gallon tank. Its also weird because usually it seems like just one fish dies but not every time. I am really confused and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I am not sure at the moment it comes in a tall bottle with blue background and a blue top. It is supposed to be a top quality dechlorinator. If someone knows could they please respond.

I'm not sure about your dechlorinator but is the tank cycled as your dechlorinator may be removing the chlorine from the chloramine and leaving deadly ammonia. Another explanation would be that something in your pipes is toxic to your fish. Next time you do a water change, make sure you follow the instructions on the dechlorinator accurately and maybe let the water sit for a while (isn't normaly necessary). Also, when (I assume you use a bucket?) filling up the bucket with clean water, make sure the bucket is clean (hot water) and let the tap water run for 5 minutes before filling the bucket to get rid of any stale water in the pipes and let any metal traces be rinsed out before filling up the tank. :p Also make sure the water is at a similar temperature to your tank's water. Lastly, do you have plants and have you tested your tap for nitrAtes. Sometimes very high nitrAtes are dangerous so if you do a water change and are simply adding more nitrAtes, you might kill a few of the weaker fish. If you have plants (fast-growing) some of this nitrAte might be used up but when you first change the water it'll be very high and fluctuations are dangerous. Another thing to consider might be that it is only coincidence and that you should maybe watch your fish a little more in order to spot signs of disease/stress before they kill the fish and then treat.

My tank has been cycled for almost a year now and I have tested the water at the lfs and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the water. I will test my water for nitrates and see if i don't have any. My tank is not planted atm because I had a snail outbreak and they ate most of them. :no: I'll try and see some of your suggestions. I have kept a close eye on my fish and I do not see any discoloration or spots or any signs of disease. One day i will see one that looks a little sluggish and hanging around the bottom of the tank and the next day they are dead. And then I don't see any others die again until about the time I change the water. But maybe this is just a coincidence.

Thanks for the advice. Any other comments would be welcome.

I realized that afterwards. I thought I was on my OP. Duh. Guess it’s time for bed. Again, thanks for your suggestions. At least they reassured me that I’m doing everything right. I trust your experience!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back