FIsh dying and looking awful. Help!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jake3030

Reaction score
hey guys despratly need some help here. I had 2 swordtails 1 bosemani rainbow 2 corys 3 guppys and i bought 2 bosemani rainbows and 2 swords. One of the new swords died and a male guppy died. The 2 new rainbows have white spots on their lips. I have a 30 gallon tank with ph7.6ish and about 80F I tested the water and everything seems fine. Just dont want more death What should i do.

What are the numbers for your tests, particularly ammonia and nitrite? A lot of people think a low number is 'fine' but anything over zero is not fine.

All the fish you name are hard water fish - how hard is your water? Not pH, hardness. This information should be somewhere on your water company's website - we need the number and the unit. Though it usually takes longer than a few days for the wrong hardness to affect fish.

What are the numbers for your tests, particularly ammonia and nitrite? A lot of people think a low number is 'fine' but anything over zero is not fine.

All the fish you name are hard water fish - how hard is your water? Not pH, hardness. This information should be somewhere on your water company's website - we need the number and the unit. Though it usually takes longer than a few days for the wrong hardness to affect fish.
The ammonia and nitrite are at 0 and nitrate is 5, I cant find the hardness but I know its on the harder side.

Update on the fish: A second guppy died and the one left has white lips now along with two rainbows and 2 swords. It almost looks cottonty and like it could fall of. The guppy that died was covered in a thin layer of slime.

It sounds like ich. Someone on here may be able to help or try google. If you are increasing temperature, dont forget adding extra aeration

It sounds like ich. Someone on here may be able to help or try google. If you are increasing temperature, dont forget adding extra aeration
Ok thanks. Another guppy died as well.:rip:

Update on the fish: A second guppy died and the one left has white lips now along with two rainbows and 2 swords. It almost looks cottonty and like it could fall of. The guppy that died was covered in a thin layer of slime.
Sounds like a fungal infection, cotton mouth maybe?

yup I hope so I bought medication and started today but 2 more died, hope remaining 6 will be ok.

yup I hope so I bought medication and started today but 2 more died, hope remaining 6 will be ok.
I have seen a lot of people recommend using salt too, fingers crossed your little guys will make it through the treatment

Thanks for the support and help!
No problem, keep us updated on your progress, I am myself battling an unknown illness in the tank at the moment so I know how fustrating it is!
Good luck

No problem, keep us updated on your progress, I am myself battling an unknown illness in the tank at the moment so I know how fustrating it is!
Good luck
Ok and good luck to you as well!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back