Fish died after moving to new cycled tank!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Thank you all for your advice! So I did a 60-70% water change a few days ago and I'm so pleased as my one remaining minnow survived and is looking a lot happier!! So sad about the others as they were the reason I bought a bigger tank but onwards and upwards as they say. So I'm keen to add some more minnows as my 1 minnow looks a little lost on his own. My original idea was that I was going to have about a dozen minnows and 6 cory pandas for the lower part of the tank which was the reason I put sand in for them. I'd like to buy about 6 minnows to get things going, do you think I should do another water change first? I haven't added any more fertiliser or co2 to the tank since the last disaster so all that's been added is tapsafe after the water change a few days ago. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 2.0.....

I would keep an eye on things for at least a week (before adding any new fish) to ensure the last fish survives. Water changes cannot hurt, provided the parameters (GH, pH and temperature) are basically the same between tank water and tap water. That very high nitrite I cannot explain, and you want to ensure that issue is gone.

When you are sure all is well, add the entire group of minnows together. Wait a few days. Then add the entire group of cories together. Shoaling fish always settle in better the more there are, and this is particularly true for cories.

Thank you Byron I'll follow your advice and keep you posted! Have a great weekend ...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back