Fish Depression?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hannemas

Reaction score
I have a Lyretail Swordfish in a 10g tank. I have read that it needs a min 30g. Recently all of his tank mates have died for various reasons or been displaced because they were not suitable for each other. It is now the only fish in this tank and doesn't swim around anymore. For the past 2 days it will sit in the corner behind the filter near the surface and just stay there for most of the day? Is he depressed or what is going on and how do i fix him?

Water stats? You best check the water hasn't got high ammonia or something like that.

How long have you had the fish tank?

The tank has been in use for about a year now, but i had just moved and completely cleaned out the tank. New rocks, changed out all the water and put in new water and added a plant in there so everything should be low. I don't normally like to do complete changes like that but it was the only way i knew how to move the tank. This particular fish i've about 6-7 months and has gone through 2 or 3 of these complete clean outs.

Did you clean or change anything in the filter, and if so what and how did you do so?

Did you temperature match and dechlorinate the new water? How often do you normally water change, and how much?

Sorry for all the questions, but the more information we have, the better we can help you :good:

I did not clean or change the filter. When i do I just take it apart and clean out the gunk throughout the entire thing when it gets clogged. I did not match the temperature because it was at my parents and they never turned on the light in the tank so the water was really cold so when i added the new spring water i also added hot tap water to make it more idea before moving him in there. I did not dechlorinate the water. When i do normal water changes it is usually only a gallon at a time about once a week.

seems there could be a number of things thats causing this,total water change will cause shock be it temperature,ph or chlorine.when i flitted i bought a large deep bucket and brought half the tanks water with me.the fish were kept in the deep bucket and the water from this bucket was added slowly over a week into the fishtank.when the tank was half full i transfered all the water from the bucket with the fish and they were all fine.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back